Windows 8 reviewed (welcome to the "post-post-PC era")

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MojoDojo, Feb 29, 2012.

1. MojoDojo macrumors member

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I had to read their review twice to pick up on it, but I believe they are unsure of having two separate UI designs. It is one OS, but able to present information in two ways (Metro, Desktop).

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've been a little confused on the get-go regading Win8. What I'm understanding is that it is a proper OS for a tablet and very similar Windows experience for a Desktop/Laptop. Right?

So what if I don't have a tablet? All in all I'm glad MS is doing this as a semi-experimental thing but I am not sure that a full fledged OS on a tablet is necessary. I mean, no one is as productive on a tablet as they'd be on a desktop/laptop are they? You can't type as fast and you can't use beefy applications without them being totally re-written (mind you the lower horsepower of a tablet).

Again, glad to see MS taking this big step but I'm not sure it's proven that this was ever needed.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That looks awesome.
    Now someone give me a tablet to test it out.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Downloading now, but it's taking it's sweet time to download.

The Windows 7 consumer preview was incredibly stable, I'm hoping Win 8 will be the same.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Same here, one stupid question, I already know the answer but I'd like someone to confirm it with me.

My laptop has 2 x 500GB hard drives. C: and D:

My D: Drive has my Steam Games on, if I install Windows 8 on C: over Windows 7, the D: Drive should remain unaffected right?

I understand how stupid this question is, but I'm a natural-born worrier.

7. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

to be on the safe side you should probably create a third drive to avoid any issue. Remeber this is a preview so eventually you are going to need to remove it.

8. buckers macrumors 6502

On a similar theme, has anyone got it going under Boot Camp? Developer Preview has been fine, but I'd hate for this new installation to screw up my partitions, lol...

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm still downloading the preview, but for the dev preview, I just created a new partition, and then installed it on there. I didn't run into a single issue. And when I'm finished with it, delete the partition and BOOM it's gone.

YMMV on a mac with their messed up EFI/Partition scheme.

10. iFanboy Guest

I'm a lawyer and need something simple and straightforward for work and play.

Mac does this. Windows XP did this. Windows Vista and 7 added a ton of extra options I couldn't really work out what they all did or why I should care - Windows 8 is like learning a whole new OS and adds complexity I simply cannot work out why?

The business world will shun this en mass.

11. Razeus macrumors 603

I'm going to download this and install it over my Windows 7 bootcamp tonight.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What options did Vista and 7 add, that weren't in XP?

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Although I'm not keen on the Metro UI, you can turn it off and it'll look just like 7.

As for the business world shunning it, you are probably right. Microsoft has a bad history when it comes to every other OS release and since Windows 7 was the good release, 8 is looking at being the bad release should the trend continue.

We will be testing 8 at work (something I got stuck with) but there are actually no implementation plans on the table so we may be skipping 8.

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

£5 says you'll be installing Windows 7 again over Windows 8 CP within a few days...

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

For the same reason that Apple is adding "tablet features" into 10.8. That is where the overall market is headed, so they want a unified approach to both tablets and desktops.
    You can turn off Metro?

16. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

18. Dr McKay, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Sadly I don't think the mail app supports my @me.com account. These are the only 3 types of accounts.

[​IMG]

The Metro Apps are mostly laggy and fairly unresponsive. But the Aero desktop and those aspects are top notch, sturdy and improved. I don't know if the metro side is because I did an upgrade install, but I'd hate to go through all the trouble of a clean install and find out the same.

19. Exhale macrumors 6502

The weather app is a bit temperamental. Again, I should add.

The music and video app do appear to have slight framerate issues, but nothing else really should be acting up.