Under Windows 7 one could use the instructions as published here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ing-AHCI-for-Windows-on-MBP-2011-now-possible Unfortunately that no longer works under 8. Somewhere I found a reference to manually editing the registry in another value: Storahci but that failed too. However I did some more digging and found that Microsoft provided the answer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795397/en-us The new Winclone 4.2 allows me to back up the AHCI partition (I got an error under Winclone 3 and had to revert it first back to IDE which is a pain in the proverbial place with Windows 8). After restore the patchedcode.bin from the first link has to be applied again and all is fine. Hopefully this helps some other soul who has been looking for an answer.