Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Most likely we've all seen or at least heard of the new tablet that Microsoft revealed not too long ago. My dad has the first iPad, and I do enjoy using it to stream Netflix, Optimum television and web browsing, but other than that, it just seems like a huge iPhone to me, especially having the 4 and pretty much all the apps are available on my iPhone device as well. Being an Apple fan, I really can't see myself going out and purchasing a new iPad and getting all the 4G etc.

However, I feel like the new Microsoft Tablet will really strike the market in a new way, and it is nice to see Microsoft back in the mix of things. Microsoft dominated the PC market for quite some time, and with this new tablet, and the keyboard, I feel like they really have found their own edge in taking some of the potential profits from Apple. It just seems like so much more of a laptop replacement than the iPad.

I was wondering what you guys expect from the Windows Tablet, and your opinions and comparison on the details that we have seen so far. For me personally, I used to love Windows computers, and I just dont want to own all Apple products, since a company like Microsoft is sure to offer things Apple can not.

Also, heres a link I found, seems to go in on the software more for anyone interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHuqnBN1CI

Last edited:

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Ugh. More than two years later and there are still "It's just a giant iPhone" people out there.

I think that if you don't like an iPad and don't see a place for it in your life, that's great. You probably won't see a place for any other tablet in your life either, Windows 8 or whatever. Stick to notebooks for your computing needs. The iPad was never designed to replace a computer. It was designed to be an extension of a computer at best, and a media consumption device. Windows 8 tablets are being designed to replace computers, and so will probably not do as well as iPads, because they won't be able to do better than what they're trying to replace. People will prefer to use their existing notebooks because they work better, cost less and aren't that much less portable.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ugh. More than two years later and there are still "It's just a giant iPhone" people out there.

I think that if you don't like an iPad and don't see a place for it in your life, that's great. You probably won't see a place for any other tablet in your life either, Windows 8 or whatever. Stick to notebooks for your computing needs. The iPad was never designed to replace a computer. It was designed to be an extension of a computer at best, and a media consumption device. Windows 8 tablets are being designed to replace computers, and so will probably not do as well as iPads, because they won't be able to do better than what they're trying to replace. People will prefer to use their existing notebooks because they work better, cost less and aren't that much less portable.

Well the first iPad IS practically a large iPhone. But I was saying personally since I have an iPhone. I really want to give the Windows Surface a try since it is more like a tablet and pc combination.. Since using the iPad I see myself using the MacBook less. But I'm excited to see Windows try at it. Never said it wasn't part of my life, and I know it wasn't meant to replace a pc but the windows tablet may do both

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Well the first iPad IS practically a large iPhone. But I was saying personally since I have an iPhone. I really want to give the Windows Surface a try since it is more like a tablet and pc combination.. Since using the iPad I see myself using the MacBook less. But I'm excited to see Windows try at it. Never said it wasn't part of my life, and I know it wasn't meant to replace a pc but the windows tablet may do both

I'm with ya OP. I'm also excited to see the Microsoft Surface in action. Although i'm going with the Pro version so i'll be waiting a few extra months after the RT is released.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm with ya OP. I'm also excited to see the Microsoft Surface in action. Although i'm going with the Pro version so i'll be waiting a few extra months after the RT is released.

What are the exact differences? If I was to save up for something like this I may as well get the best of it.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The pro will suffer from all the problems of a laptop, shorter battery life, heat, cooling fans, etc. You're going to have to carry a power supply with you rather than just a USB cable to charge it. You're giving up a lot of convenience to have the pro, however, you will be getting a more powerful device.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
The pro will suffer from all the problems of a laptop, shorter battery life, heat, cooling fans, etc. You're going to have to carry a power supply with you rather than just a USB cable to charge it. You're giving up a lot of convenience to have the pro, however, you will be getting a more powerful device.

It's because of this that I'll probably pick up an RT-based device. I'm interested to see if I can work on it, as I do on my original iPad ( you know, that large iPhone ;) ), especially with one of the keyboards that were also announced.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Most likely we've all seen or at least heard of the new tablet that Microsoft revealed not too long ago. My dad has the first iPad, and I do enjoy using it to stream Netflix, Optimum television and web browsing, but other than that, it just seems like a huge iPhone to me, especially having the 4 and pretty much all the apps are available on my iPhone device as well. Being an Apple fan, I really can't see myself going out and purchasing a new iPad and getting all the 4G etc.

However, I feel like the new Microsoft Tablet will really strike the market in a new way, and it is nice to see Microsoft back in the mix of things. Microsoft dominated the PC market for quite some time, and with this new tablet, and the keyboard, I feel like they really have found their own edge in taking some of the potential profits from Apple. It just seems like so much more of a laptop replacement than the iPad.

I was wondering what you guys expect from the Windows Tablet, and your opinions and comparison on the details that we have seen so far. For me personally, I used to love Windows computers, and I just dont want to own all Apple products, since a company like Microsoft is sure to offer things Apple can not.

Also, heres a link I found, seems to go in on the software more for anyone interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHuqnBN1CI

I expect another Microsoft POS product that doesn't understand what a tablet should be and misses the mark for most consumers. The fact that MS dominated the PC market has nothing to do with quality, innovation or appeal.

Renzatic

Suspended
I expect another Microsoft POS product that doesn't understand what a tablet should be and misses the mark for most consumers. The fact that MS dominated the PC market has nothing to do with quality, innovation or appeal.

But the fact that the iPad currently dominates the tablet market has everything to do with quality, innovation, and appeal.

...because I like the iPad.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I a with you guys on that, love to see one in person.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Oh really? :rolleyes:

That's funny cause all the people in the know as well as the industry techies who have seen it have walked away impressed.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Please, stop calling it a big iPhone. If YOU have NO clue of what an iPad is, then never even write the name iPad.

Ay_Zimmy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Please, stop calling it a big iPhone. If YOU have NO clue of what an iPad is, then never even write the name iPad.
Useless input.. I know exactly what it is. Doesn't mean it's all that different of an experience than the iPhone. The windows surface tablet is a TOTALLY different experience, and a lot of it has to do with SOFTWARE.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Useless input.. I know exactly what it is. Doesn't mean it's all that different of an experience than the iPhone. The windows surface tablet is a TOTALLY different experience, and a lot of it has to do with SOFTWARE.

''The Windows Surface Tablet is just a smaller Windows computer''

:)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

If the iPad is just a bigger iPhone, then the Surface RT is just a bigger Windows phone. As for Surface Pro, I suspect it is also a bigger Wondows phone when in Metro mode, and a smaller Windows computer when in desktop mode. And when in desktop mode, I suspect the screen is too small to get much work done. I do admit that a ultra-portable computer I could carry with me everywhere is an attractive idea, but I'd need a full keyboard and monitor to really use it. And then there's the matter of battery life, which Microsoft hasn't mentioned yet. In other words, I'm not sure what kind of eerience the Surface will be, and while yes, software matters, so does hardware -- and there are still many questions about he hardware that have yet ti be answered.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What could, and I am saying "Could" and not "Will"
And this would also be the case if Apple made an iPad pro with optional pull away keyboard that could run iOS or OSX.

As tech moves forward, prices come down etc etc.

One could see a time whem many people, faced with their old Windows laptop needing to be replaced, go to the store and think, hey, why not get a "Surface" tablet/laptop instead as this will do both things for me, why pay out for a Tablet AND a Laptop when I can have just the one thing to carry with me.

If this happens, at time goes on it could totally change the Windows laptop market.

Whether this will happen, who knows, but there is no reason why it can't happen this way over say a 5 year period.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
What could, and I am saying "Could" and not "Will"
And this would also be the case if Apple made an iPad pro with optional pull away keyboard that could run iOS or OSX.

As tech moves forward, prices come down etc etc.

One could see a time whem many people, faced with their old Windows laptop needing to be replaced, go to the store and think, hey, why not get a "Surface" tablet/laptop instead as this will do both things for me, why pay out for a Tablet AND a Laptop when I can have just the one thing to carry with me.

If this happens, at time goes on it could totally change the Windows laptop market.

Whether this will happen, who knows, but there is no reason why it can't happen this way over say a 5 year period.

I can't see the above happening as long as they sell the MacBook Air. If the MBA had a detachable keyboard and touch screen it's basically what asked for.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I am happy to see Microsoft jump into the tablet biz. Apple needs to be pushed, and right now the competition is pretty weak. That said, I am confused about how the Pro model will fit into most peoples use. It is trying to be both a tablet and a pc, but tablets really operate best with a touch interface and operating system. I have difficulty imagining using my iPad with pc operating system. I have tried it using virtual connection, and it is very awkward. Maybe Windows 8 magically solves these interface issues....but, I am skeptical because the problems are really ergonomic.

I think you will end up with a bulky tablet and an awkward laptop merged together into a somewhat dissatisfying experience. For example, that kickstand will not work in your lap. Of course, people said the iPad wouldn't catch on, so I could be wrong about the Pro.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I am happy to see Microsoft jump into the tablet biz. Apple needs to be pushed, and right now the competition is pretty weak. That said, I am confused about how the Pro model will fit into most peoples use. It is trying to be both a tablet and a pc, but tablets really operate best with a touch interface and operating system. I have difficulty imagining using my iPad with pc operating system. I have tried it using virtual connection, and it is very awkward. Maybe Windows 8 magically solves these interface issues....but, I am skeptical because the problems are really ergonomic.

I think you will end up with a bulky tablet and an awkward laptop merged together into a somewhat dissatisfying experience. For example, that kickstand will not work in your lap. Of course, people said the iPad wouldn't catch on, so I could be wrong about the Pro.

Except that Windows 8 is a new UI designed around touch screens. I plan on using the Pro model, like I would a PC when i'm at home. When i'm out and about i'll use it as a Tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.