Windows 8 took up entire partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gnortenjones, Oct 26, 2012.

1. gnortenjones macrumors regular

I had the Windows 8 consumer preview on a 50gb bootcamp partition, and decided to buy Windows 8 pro when I was released today.

Today I did the re-install, but now it looks like my entire 50gb partition has been taken up by JUST windows. I can't even install Office because there's not enough HD space for it.

I do see that there's a "windows (old)" file so I'm wondering if the consumer preview files are still there taking up space.

Is anyone else seeing this, and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. gnortenjones thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind, that's exactly what happened. Using cleanmgr to erase the previous install freed up over half the hard drive.

3. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Did all bootcamp drivers work fine with windows 8? I'm debating about installing windows 8 on my mba 2011.

4. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

They work fine, only real issue I've found is the incompatibility of all the sound drivers, it makes the sound from anything through the in-built speakers sound terrible.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Since you upgraded from the Consumer Preview, how did it go? Did it wipe your drive and start fresh, only keeping your programs in the .old folder, or was it a smooth upgrade that kept everything intact?

The only thing holding me off from getting Windows 8 right at this moment is because I don't feel like squirreling away everything to prepare for an upgrade. If it's pretty simple and smooth, I might go ahead and take the plunge.

6. shadowjeff macrumors regular

It might be just the bootcamp drivers for windows, might not be windows 8's problem. Comparing sound quality the between windows 7 and osx on my mba, there is a HUGE difference.

7. gnortenjones thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I upgraded from the consumer preview. It wiped everything except my "personal files", which meant I had to re-install all my programs.

I've been having issues with the trackpad drivers for my mid-2011 mbp. The weird thing is that it worked perfectly at first, but at some point, after re-installing software, two finger scrolling stopped working, so I tried re-installing bootcamp drivers, then the track pad stopped working altogether.

After much fuss uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, I finally got basic trackpad functionality back, but still no multi-touch.

8. gnortenjones thread starter macrumors regular

YAY!!!! After getting basic functionality I got two fingered scrolling to work!!!!

Once you get the drivers re-installed, you need to go to the boot camp control panel, select trackpad, then select "Two Fingers Secondary Click".

I've been working on this for freaking hours!!!! Yay!!!!!!

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Bahh. I was afraid that'd be the case.

Thanks for the reply, man.