Windows 8 Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kashchei, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Perhaps I was hallucinating, but I seem to recall that with the Windows 8 Preview Release, Microsoft was praised for its uncharacteristically low upgrade price, something in the range of $20-30. Now that the final release is immanent, I don't see any upgrades for this price. Was I really hallucinating or is there an upgrade path of which I am unaware?

2. DimensionDude macrumors newbie

The way I understand it, the $40 upgrade is download only and will go away after January 2013.

3. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

meaning you have to pay again after Jan 2013 in order for Windows 8 to work, or meaning that you should buy it before Jan 2013 in order to get it at that price?
    is the upgrade for those who have Windows 7 already? I only have Windows 8 Free Preview thing, so i'm assuming when i want to keep it, i'll have to pay for the full version

4. DimensionDude macrumors newbie

Meaning that you should purchase before Jan 2013 to get that price.

The upgrade is for upgrading valid Windows installations only (XP and up), the Free Preview doesn't qualify.

Yeah, looks like you'll have to pay for the full version. On the bright side, Microsoft is now allowing personal use of the System Builder edition (beginning with Windows 8). Don't know the prices off the top of my head, but that should save the enthusiast a few dollars.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No its an incentive price - buy it earlier and its cheaper, procrastinate and pay more.

6. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

Thanks. I'll wait til my version stops working and then pick up either Windows 7 or 8 depending on prices

7. mikepro44 macrumors member

If I buy one copy of Windows 8 can I use it for my laptop and dual boot on the Mac Mini?