Windows 8 usable on Retina display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bitfidelity, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bitfidelity macrumors member

AFAIK, the default resolution of Windows 8 is native (2880x1800) via Boot Camp. Is everything as hard to read as it is on OS X when it is hacked to run at full resolution?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

just bump up the dpi to something between 150-199% and it's fine

3. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It is usable but text will be blurry on lots of apps. Even with the DPI increase.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It should work fairly well. Apple just released 10.8.3 which provides support for Windows 8 on Bootcamp.

Of course, there might be some glitches and bugs, but it should be better now that it's officially supported.

5. bitfidelity thread starter macrumors member

Well, I finally went ahead and installed W8. I had no choice but to run at native resolution because the DPI scaling is terrible.

I might be imagining things, but it is somehow slightly more usable than OS X at 2880x1800. And everything looks insane. Watching a video via MPC-HC with MadVR at this PPI is craziness. Also, the system volume is way louder in Windows, which is awesome.

I am really surprised at how effortless the install process went. In fact, I had a ton of more problems trying to install W8 with the desktop PC I recently built, though I chalk that up to driver compatibility (the OS was still really new at the time).

6. scarred macrumors 6502a

Can you describe "insane" for me ('everything looks insane')? =) Is it really small?

Also, since you have it installed, do mouse gestures work with the trackpad?

7. bitfidelity thread starter macrumors member

By insane, I mean gorgeous.

I don't think mouse gestures work. I think the best you can do is scroll using two fingers, but even that felt flaky the few times I tried.

8. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Good to hear that it worked out :)

9. Harrycooke macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

You don't want to use Windows 8 at all. Trust me. There are so many problems with it.

For example, they have made everything hard to find. Settings isn't all settings just the ones they feel like. You then have to sift through everything to find control panel to change other settings. I could go on, but I must sleep.

10. MacKid macrumors 6502

Remember, the rule is that every other Microsoft OS is decent.

XP! Hurray!

Vista...

7!

11. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Don't tell people what they want.

12. Harrycooke macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

It's advice dear. Don't be so anally retentive.

13. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

You can get trackpad gestures working with a bit of effort. There's a project called Trackpad++ that enables them.

http://trackpad.powerplan7.com

14. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Wrong! I am running win 8 on my retina macbook pro with the 10.8.3 apple bootcamp drivers and also Start 8, which provides An identical windows 7 start menu and all of its capabilities. I never have to look at the win 8 crowded, confusing desktop substitute that only a touchscreen user can love. Win 8 is superb, with gorgeous graphics and it also has a continuous automatic backup similar to apple time machine.

15. bitfidelity thread starter macrumors member

...Windows 8 is essentially Windows 7, but with a full-screen launch menu.

I don't miss the legacy Start menu at all and find that you have many more programs at your fingertips with the new UI.

16. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Don't tell me what to do.

17. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Apple did a great job with Boot Camp, no? The driver package they put together is about as painless as you can get. The most painful part of the Windows Boot Camp installation is installing all those damn Windows Updates.

I'm wondering how you're getting by on Windows 8 without a touchscreen, because I hated navigating through Metro with a mouse. I purposely chose Windows 7 because of it.

18. theineffablebob macrumors regular

Changing the DPI to something other than 100% will make some programs like Unity3D buggy.