Windows 8 won't install (GPT/MBR)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zoom7000, May 2, 2013.

1. Zoom7000 macrumors newbie

I've got a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro6,2) and I've updated it to 10.8.3. Apple now support installing of Windows 8 via Boot Camp, but I just can't get it to work even though it is supported on my MacBook. I've created the partition using the Boot Camp Assistant, however, when I boot in to Windows 8, it complains that it can't install on to the partition because it needs the partition to be GPT and it is currently MBR. This is the error message:

However, when booting back in to OS X and checking in Disk Utility, the drive is definitely set as GUID Partition Table.

How can I get Windows 8 to see that this is correct? I've tried deleting the partition on Windows 8 setup and recreating it, but it complains it cannot create a partition (Error: 0xf28dbbd0 - Which gives no results in Google!)

2. ErikvanD macrumors newbie

ErikvanD

It seems you are trying to do a EFI install of W8. That requires a GPT partition. What kind of install media are you using?

3. Zoom7000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved: It seems my model of MacBook Pro doesn't support installing from USB Flash Drive. I burnt the ISO on to a DVD and Windows installed fine. Thanks for your help anyway.

4. erbales macrumors newbie

I had the same issue with my Mid 2010 macbook pro. So to clarify, I should transfer the Windows 8.1 install software from my usb to a dvd? What is the best way to do this?
    Should I also transfer the drivers from apple/bootcamp that are downloaded on my usb drive as well?