???windows 95/98 on mac???

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by josh843, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josh843 macrumors newbie

hello all, hopefully someone can help me, i have a 2009 mbp with 2.53 core 2 duo. i am wanting to use fusion to possibly download windows 95/98 onto the mbp, i have windows 7 ultimate already. no before i start getting flammed the reason i want to do this is to play some old games... mainly command and conquer red alert. (best game of all time!). is this even possible??? has anyone tried and succeeded?? ive read on some google searches that some macs wont support it due to D.O.S and then some say it works fine.... blah blah blah.... the normal stuff you see. I was just curious if anyone on here has done this or knoss if its possible, all i really need is for it to be stable enough to run a few games that arent that demanding, red alert, duke nukem, doom... stuff like that. thanks

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

if you do it in a VM like Fusion or Parallels, I don't see a problem. VMs are great for extreme legacy OS installs since you can set it to use minimal CPU/Ram and it virtualizes all the hardware so you don't need to worry about current drivers for an outdated OS.

Parallels Win95 install dialogue:
    [​IMG]

3. Rocky244 macrumors regular

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23583.htm

I'd try it.

4. josh843 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for the quick replies, so basicly just find an iso file win 95 or 98 and do the same steps as win 7??? id rather use fusion since i already have it, also when i did win 7 last night it never asked me for serial#, it just did its thing and it works like a champ. i dont think thats normal is it????

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You don't need a serial to install windows. It will be in 30 day trial mode if you don't enter one.

6. josh843 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Unless it was cracked to bypass the serial, that doesn't matter. Most torrent downloads of Win7 are just untouched disk images.

8. josh843 thread starter macrumors newbie

shouldnt it have at leaset asked if i wanted a trial or enter serial?? it did that when i DL aperture and i entered a serial# and it worked

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Depends on the version. Some OEM installs that come with pre-installed PC's don't even ask for a serial or validation.

10. josh843 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, is there a way i can check the registration on win 7??? but anyways back to the OP. is it just as simple as downloading the file for 95 or 98 and then just creating a new VM with fusion?? or does it matter that i alerady have win 7 on it?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Discussion or help with pirated software is not permitted here at MacRumors

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.