Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schwarzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
So heres the deal.
I was cleaning out the basement, and i came across my OLD computer stuff. you know, those old os backup disks they tell you to keep for no real reason? Well i found my windows 95 disk. unopened with instructions, ie4, and 90 free hours of AOL (lol). perfectly in tact. SO i was thinking, could i use the dual boot program (boot camp, i belive?) on my mac (running latest and greatest s'leopard) to get windows 95 on here? can you tell me if that would work, or if i should toss/continue storing the disks?

thanks

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You can't run anything older than XP on a Mac through bootcamp. You might be able to get 95 running if you happen to have a G4 lying around with virtual PC, but chances are it's not exactly worth it.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
You definitely can run Windows 95 as a virtual machine using virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop. That's definitely the way to go if you want to set it up on your Mac. Boot Camp isn't an option though for that old of a version of Windows.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Not through Bootcamp no but you may be able to get it working through other means like how you can install Linux via ReFit, however it's likely that Windows 95 wouldn't run on your modern hardware.

Your best option is to virtualise it. Though you could always sell it to some sort of collector of unopened software I suppose.

PS: Try downloading 'Virtualbox' it's a free virtual machine from Oracle, I think they also do an open source version too.

Last edited:

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Why would boot camp not work?
All it is doing is creating an extra partition, and making it bootable. There would be no hardware support, but I would think it would still install, and possibly boot.

edit: never mind.. didn't take EFI/bios into consideration or even certain hardware like SATA... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.