windows 95 on mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Schwarzy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Schwarzy macrumors newbie

So heres the deal.
    I was cleaning out the basement, and i came across my OLD computer stuff. you know, those old os backup disks they tell you to keep for no real reason? Well i found my windows 95 disk. unopened with instructions, ie4, and 90 free hours of AOL (lol). perfectly in tact. SO i was thinking, could i use the dual boot program (boot camp, i belive?) on my mac (running latest and greatest s'leopard) to get windows 95 on here? can you tell me if that would work, or if i should toss/continue storing the disks?

thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can't run anything older than XP on a Mac through bootcamp. You might be able to get 95 running if you happen to have a G4 lying around with virtual PC, but chances are it's not exactly worth it.

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You definitely can run Windows 95 as a virtual machine using virtualization software such as Parallels Desktop. That's definitely the way to go if you want to set it up on your Mac. Boot Camp isn't an option though for that old of a version of Windows.

4. Schwarzy thread starter macrumors newbie

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I'm sure you can still claim them!:rolleyes:

6. Schwarzy thread starter macrumors newbie

eh. any free versions? im not looking to pay for nostagia.

7. RichardBeer, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

Not through Bootcamp no but you may be able to get it working through other means like how you can install Linux via ReFit, however it's likely that Windows 95 wouldn't run on your modern hardware.

Your best option is to virtualise it. Though you could always sell it to some sort of collector of unopened software I suppose.

PS: Try downloading 'Virtualbox' it's a free virtual machine from Oracle, I think they also do an open source version too.

8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

VirtualBox is a free virtualization software.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Check out VirtualBox. It may work, or you can do a 30 day trial of Parallels.

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Why would boot camp not work?
    All it is doing is creating an extra partition, and making it bootable. There would be no hardware support, but I would think it would still install, and possibly boot.

edit: never mind.. didn't take EFI/bios into consideration or even certain hardware like SATA... :D

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

VirtualBox is indeed free, but it doesn't appear to support Windows 95.

Link