Windows 98 FAT32 EIDE Hard Drive and OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reubs, Oct 4, 2007.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I may be seeking to do the impossible, but if anyone can give me any help I would REALLY appreciate it.

My wife has decided she wants to go to grad school, but we don't have easy access to any of her old papers. All of her papers are on the HDD of an old Win 98 EIDE HDD which is evidently formatted in FAT32. I've got an enclosure that I got from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817105011), but I'm having a beast of a time getting it to work. I may be out of luck, but I'd like any help anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance!

2. sndcj1 macrumors member

well, this should be pretty much plug and play on the mac side. I wonder if there is another problem that you are fighting. The mac can read/write natively to a fat32 partition (the same format as most jump drives). One thing I have seen in troubleshooting other external enclosures is to make sure the drive is set for master... or make sure it set for cable select... depending on which you have tried without success as of now.

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

The support guy I spoke with said that some enclosures only recognize "NTFS" now, but I haven't found anything substantiating that to this point. I've tried just about every jumper setting for this HDD and enclosure, and I'm having no luck. Thanks for the info, though! I'll keep you posted.

4. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I'm contantly amazed at what 'IT guys' tell people... modern enclosures only work with NTFS?!?! Madness...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The drive and enclosure should work regardless of filesystem.

I have found that some drives just don't work in certain enclosures. I have a 5.25" enclosure that just doesn't work on some hard drives. My other enclosure powers them up and they connect just fine.