Windows Activation - Bootcamp and Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skaertus, Nov 4, 2013.

1. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I've installed Windows 8 on Bootcamp and then I created a virtual machine from my Bootcamp partition with Parallels. I activated Windows under Bootcamp. Windows was perfectly activated under Parallels, but, when I used Bootcamp again, it thought I was using a different computer and told me I had to buy another license.

That seems to be a frequent issue with Bootcamp/Parallels.

Now, I've formatted the Bootcamp partition. I installed Windows 8 on it again, and I created another virtual machine in Parallels. However, I can't activate Windows 8 in neither Bootcamp or Parallels. I guess I'll have to activate it by phone. Which one should I do first? Can I activate it via phone to run on Bootcamp, and then activate it again via phone to run on Parallels? Or should I do it the other way round? Does Microsoft accept all these activations and re-activations via phone, one after another? Or should I just forget about Parallels now and use Bootcamp only?

How should I proceed?

2. blueshirt31 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, you cannot activate both Bootcamp install and Parallels VM with the same license. You need to have two licenses to use both. I know, It does't make sense, but how it is.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Is that a EULA/license restriction, or a practical issue?

4. blueshirt31, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

blueshirt31 macrumors newbie

Both. Windows EULA allows installation on one machine and treats physical installation (Bootcamp) and virtual one (Parallels) as two machines thus not allowing the same license code to be used on both. I scrapped BC installation because of that. Activating BC would deactivate Parallels installation and vice versa in my case. I definitely understand this would be an issue if you actually used both at the same time (two machines), but am disappointed why you can't legally use both with one license code on one machine.

Some have reported that repeating activation process on both BC and Paralles makes "license stick" after re-activating a few times, but I have not tested it myself nor would I recommend doing it. I simply use VM at the moment. The other way is to activate one properly and the other... :)

Edit: I did forget to mention that I first installed Windows using Bootcamp and then chose to create virtual machine in Parallels from it and run it this way. It allowed me to modify files and use both without booting into BC while preserving settings and updates. However, in this scenario the license did not allow both to be activated at the same time (Parallels ran in "trial" until I converted to VM completely). I did not try to install each separetely and activating both. In that case it might be possible that activation will pass, in which case it would be the matter of breaching EULA instead of being practical one. Maybe someone else can give you further details on this since I haven't tested it myself.

5. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

I've read Windows EULA and it says that one license can only be installed in one computer (either a physical or virtual machine). One installation only. You can't install Windows on a computer and then install it again in a virtual machine with the same license.

When I use Bootcamp in Parallels, there is only one installation of Windows which is run both in Bootcamp (a physical machine) and in Parallels (a virtual machine). The Windows EULA is not clear about this specific situation.

According to Parallels, one license of Windows can be used on both Bootcamp and Parallels (provided that Parallels uses the Bootcamp installation). It even teaches how to do that here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9703. If it was not allowed by Windows EULA, I guess there would be some legal fighting about Parallels teaching how to do this on its website.

6. blueshirt31 macrumors newbie

Correct. That is what Windows EULA says and what I have been able to read on Microsoft support forums regarding licensing. As far as Microsoft is concerned you need two licenses.

Exactly. When I researched this issue before purchasing Parallels licensing was clear about running VM and Bootcamp separately and I thought it applied to running VM from Bootamp as well, although it did not make sense as it is one installation and Parallels modifies files so I was not sure how could I activate same installation twice.

Thank you! Funny, I actually saw that KB article before posting my first reply but did not read carefully enough to notice the last part "This solution will prevent the reactivation request in Bootcamp and in the Virtual Machine."

I did the opposite of that article. I activated BC first and then tried to activate VM (both online not via phone). It did not work for me. I guess trying it does not hurt. That is why I stated that I read some people had success activating both but I could not confirm. I suggests that you follow Parallels instructions. In my case, I used Windows 8 (not a word! :D) and it required me to enter key during installation and it activated after installation. For example, in Windows 7 you are able to skip that part and install without a key. I know that Microsoft changes licensing from time to time but I am sure following that KB article from Parallels would work. As Apple would say, in my case, I was activating/installing it the wrong way. :)

I am curious about this. I did not plan on installing Windows to BC but if I do I will report back about this.

7. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Runs fine for me. Had one license for Win 8.1 and used it for both Bootcamp and the connection of it with Parallels, here is how it worked:

Bootcamp: Win 8.1 Activated

Parallels: Needs another activation, i did by phone call -> runs fine

Bootcamp: After returning to Bootcamp i had to activate again, but before i could click on anything in the activation window it jumped to the window "Windows is activated.

Now it runs fine on both ways.

8. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Thanks.

Now, my question is the following:

I formatted my Bootcamp partition, and reinstalled Windows. I also put this new Bootcamp partition on a Parallels virtual machine.

I cannot activate Windows in neither Bootcamp nor Parallels now, as the system tells me it is already activated in another computer. I have to do it by phone.

So, I'll have to activate it by phone on Bootcamp, and then I'll have to turn it to Parallels, and activate it by phone again. How many of these activations by phone do Microsoft allow? Can I just keep changing the computer like that?

9. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

The activation by phone is done via robot. You can activate it as many times you want (well of course on one machine).
    The phone activation is mostly for people who changes their hardware often, like hard drives , CPU etc. windows recognizes this hardware changes and deactivates the activation until you reactivate it by call.
    When the robot asks you make sure to select the option where it says "that product is only installed on one machine" otherwise it will automatically stop the activation process regardless of the real activation times.

But in fact you can activate with this method windows as many times you want.
    You can even activate 2-3 pc's with this one license key ( but well that's not quite legal ^^).

In fact one license key = one machine,
    But the thing with virtualization etc is very sloppy formulated in the EULA.
    But you don't have to worry I did this many times and until now the FBI and special forces never rushed my house :D

10. skaertus thread starter macrumors 68030

skaertus

Thank you. That was exactly what I wanted to know. I don't want to do anything illegal or against the EULA. Not really afraid of FBI invading my house. Just worried about making my Windows 8 license useless due to some Microsoft restricting policy...

11. realrascal macrumors newbie

What edition of Win 8.1 you are using?
    Did you try disconnect internet connection and restart in BC only and see whether the activation status change to activated?
    I doubt it because your Win 8.1 is very likely KMS activated.
    What that mean is Win 8.1 might not be activated if you use your windows in PD environment, then boot back from BC, make sure you don't have internet connection, then see whether your activation status.

12. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

No its the original upgrade edition, it was here in germany for 30 € on the release of win 8.
    The special offer lasted till 31. dec. 2012.

It's not KMS.