Windows and Mac OS X sharing same External HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Juan TS, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Juan TS macrumors member

I'm a PC user, but since Vista I've been a bit pissed off with all the Windows bugs and the crap it brings, so I've been considering to buy a Macbook Pro (but only when they bring built-in Ivy Bridge), but even if they only come next year, I am worried about something:

I have some HDD where I keep on my movies, pictures,games and everything, they gather a lot of information (total like 6 TB) but they are all formatted to NTFS. So the question is: will a Macbook Pro be able to read NTFS? or will I have to use third-party soft, or even worse, format them? All these in a way in which I will be able to use it on Windows and Mac.

2. archerfish macrumors newbie

Ntfs

Hello Juan TS,

Quoting from Diogenes, "Also, please remove NTFS Mounter, for as both me and CCC-SWEETS have painfully learned, it is simply not completely stable. Instead, download and install the free MacFUSE and then install NTFS-3G a free read-write driver for Mac that is much more reliable than NTFS Mounter. "

You need to install a third party software since mac does not "write" to NTFS. I'm using TUXERA NTFS right now and I haven't got time to experiment with MACFUSE and NTFS 3G.

You might want to read this,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13305301#post13305301

3. Juan TS thread starter macrumors member