Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I am planning to be doing gaming via Bootcamp on a new 2011 15" Macbook Pro. But that's aside from the subject in a way. My question for all you copious users of Mac and PC out there, immersed into the competitive world of quality operating systems (perhaps not competitive for the purposed and sane of you), is, if you have made the transition, which was easier?
Windows to Mac, (Or Linux)
or Mac to Windows?

- Being a Mac user from birth (sounds funny, computers aren't used from birth), I have evolved with the Apple interface, however I imagine Windows users are much the same way.

Rather than prompt an argument, I was hoping to start a substantial thread. What do PC users like and dislike about Mac, and Mac users dislike about Windows? The feedback will inform me a lot, and hopefully others too, as this is an online forum.

E.
:D

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I like the way the task bar and start menu is organized. So much easier than the dock. I also like how windows doesn't seem to hide apps when they are behind other windows. In Mac os, it seems apps get very hidden behind other active apps. And in windows, you can resize any app by dragging any edge or corner.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I like the way the task bar and start menu is organized. So much easier than the dock. I also like how windows doesn't seem to hide apps when they are behind other windows. In Mac os, it seems apps get very hidden behind other active apps. And in windows, you can resize any app by dragging any edge or corner.

Is it not possible to do those things on a Mac too?

Last edited by a moderator:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Is it not possible to do those things on a Mac too?

1. No start menu on OS X. Whether you prefer this over Stacks/Spotlight is all a matter of opinion. I prefer Stacks/Spotlight.
2. I don't see how the Taskbar in Windows 7 is any different from the MacOS dock... Earlier versions of Windows there is a clear difference.
3. I concur with the hidden apps. However, Expose exists.
4. You can only resize Apps in OS X on the bottom right hand corner. I don't mind this either.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I really like the Start button in Windows:

1. I like that I can access my most used programs by just clicking on Start (and I like that they are totally hidden unless I click on Start).

2. I like "Recent Items" (Start / Recent Items) since I find it handy to quickly access my most recently used files.

3. I like that the main folders (Documents / Photos / Music / etc) are all easily accessed from the Start button.

Does a Mac have all of the above? Does it function in the same way?

If not, can someone please explain how it does work?

Thanks in advance... :)

Luph67

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
I've always envied the dock. The icons look cleaner/better presented, and its centered. The W7 taskbar is essentially the same thing these days only it looks worse and there's no way to naturally center it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
1. No start menu on OS X. Whether you prefer this over Stacks/Spotlight is all a matter of opinion. I prefer Stacks/Spotlight.
2. I don't see how the Taskbar in Windows 7 is any different from the MacOS dock... Earlier versions of Windows there is a clear difference.
4. You can only resize Apps in OS X on the bottom right hand corner. I don't mind this either.
1. I agree that it's really personal preference. I never used it in Windows and much prefer Spotlight to it. There is a menulet that adds this functionality. I don't remember the name, sorry.
2. I don't think they're the same. They may function much the same but they do so in completely different ways. Windows 7 superbar is A LOT better than it used to be I'll admit.
3. I definitely use Expose for that so it's really not an issue.
4. Lion remedies this finally and one ups Windows by allowing you to expand or contract the window from any side by using a hockey (I think it's Option).

MacCrackAddict

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
finder in OS X is the equivalent of start in windows.

You can drag entire folders into the dock on OS X i.e. your applications folder so you have instant access to whatever you want. so you have both a 'start' and the dock which is like the taskbar is w7 only better.

OS X has expose which is where you can view all of your open windows. this will also be drastically improved with OS X lion released in the summer, where it bundles all of your open windows into their respective application to be viewed incredibly well. i can clarify this as i am using the beta for lion.

the mac app store is free with every mac and you can buy or download many free add-ons for your OS that increase personalised functionality.

dragging and dropping files, pictures etc. across desktop, applications and drives works with anything on a mac and i havnt been an avid windows user since the xp days but do use w7 a lot because of the uni computers, but am pretty sure it is not quite as good yet? hands up if i'm incorrect there!

and slightly off topic but lion which is expected in june, has a new feature called launchpad, where all of your apps will be on screen for you to swipe across to see. it is amazing.

the best thing about OS X is the speed. install and loading times runs rings around the constant 'run, 'save', 'install' lengthy process that winds many people up using windows!

i used windows until i was 16 and now as a 21 year old i can safely tell you that mac is so much easier to get along with and fels more natural and has made me loath many of the bugs with windows so much more!

hope this helps? :)

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I really like the Start button in Windows:

1. I like that I can access my most used programs by just clicking on Start (and I like that they are totally hidden unless I click on Start).

2. I like "Recent Items" (Start / Recent Items) since I find it handy to quickly access my most recently used files.

3. I like that the main folders (Documents / Photos / Music / etc) are all easily accessed from the Start button.

Does a Mac have all of the above? Does it function in the same way?

If not, can someone please explain how it does work?

Thanks in advance... :)

You can arrange the MacOS Dock however you like and put all the programs you use most in it.

You can put folders(Documents Musics Photos Videos) on the dock and it'll be recent items right away or you could choose other sorting(Sort by: Name/Date Added/Date Modified/Kind).

Expose is the fastest way to change apps and know which apps you're changing too(command+tab is faster but when you do it fast, you cant see what you're switching too).

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
longtime windows user switched mac user roughly 5 months ago.

I tend to LOVE the command key location vs the control key. So much less stress on the wrist from moving over and over again to press control.

Spaces is great. Terminal is great. Xcode is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.