Windows and Mac parallel?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alabalalala, Nov 14, 2007.

1. alabalalala macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am currently in the market for a Mac Book. I am interested primarily because of its capability to run both Mac and Windows simultaneously. However, I was wondering if the Mac based Windows is able to execute and install Windows based software and whether it can read Windows only CDs when it is under the Windows mode? Also I was wondering if anyone knows how they install both systems and whether it has negative influence on computer's ability to function properly?

Thank you! Any information will help me make my final decision!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

ITs all fine, except remember that modern games aren't meant for this method...

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I used to use Parallels to run windows and OS X at the same time.

It was decent, until I upgraded to Leopard. Parallels gave me nothing but trouble. I recently switched to VMWare's Fusion. It is - hands down - incredible. It's 10 times better than Parallels.

In Leopard, Spaces makes it even more attractive. Just move the fusion window to another space, select full screen, and you have a dedicated screen just for Windows.

Works amazing.

4. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

First off i think u believe that apple somehow has their own version of windows or something but that is not the case be aware that you need to provide your own copy of windows and you can only use mac os x and windows simultaneously if you use another virtualization prgram such as VMware's fusion or parallels otherwise you would have to use apples bootcamp wich means that you can only use mac os x or windows one at a time and when you want to use the other you have too reboot .anyways answering your questions once your macbook is running windows its a fully normal PC you use CD's, software, hardware(most of the time),and justa bout anything a normal PC would do . Your macbook should come with bootcamp which guides you through easy installment of windows and if you plan on using on of the virtualization programs above then they will guide you through the proccess.also take note that bootcamp is free(comes with your macbook) while fusion and parallel cost money and with bootcamp your computer will run faster when using windows than it would with the virtualization products because your computer is only using one OS at a time while the other two have to run both OS X and Windows at the same time slowing them down a bit. So anyways the decision is yours they each have downfalls and advantages over each other.
    hope this helps good luck with your purchase!

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Good, complete advice. Punctuation and paragraphs are your friend, though -- makes your great advice easier to read! ;)

6. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

lol, thanks for the advice but I am a teenager and..well..you do the math....IF its not school work or a big important paper/application or similar document who cares right? lol bad habits of mine,oh well they will get sorted out someday.(<<<<< NOTE the period) ;)

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, you already provided better advice than a lot of "older" members, so you're off to a great start, in any case! Keep it up!

8. alabalalala thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! That is really what I wanted to know before I can be completely sold to the Mac idea! Great advice thanks!

9. afoessel macrumors newbie

Where to buy new iMac Spanish Keyboard VMware and XP

Hi, I got myself confused trying to get a good deal with the following

iMac 24" with Spanish keyboard
    Installed VMware or Parallels
    Installed XP Professional version.

For this package, and hopefully saving sales tax in Illinois, where would you buy?

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Many places to buy.

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

Don't ever let yourself use your age as a crutch, or an excuse for poor communication skills. I do not care if you are 11, 51, 16, 82, or 112, being able to communicate properly, regardless the medium or forum is incredibly important. I am however pleased that you avoided leet-speak, AIM-speak, and other forms of short hand.

I do second the statement that your advice is quite good, and your knowledge should be commended.

PS: I stopped being a teenager 2 years ago, and I didn't all of a sudden develop a consideration for how I communicate.

PPS: I apologize if I came off condescending or anything of the sort, merely trying to hand out my own advice. People take you more seriously, I have found, if you are actually willing to take the additional 5 seconds to properly parse and format your statements.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Buy them separately. Any place you can get the iMac with Spanish kb, then buy WinXP OEM from someplace cheap (even better if you can get the edu version), then buy VMWare anywhere you can get it cheap. Install XP in BootCamp, then run it from VMW. Your best bet.

Same for you alabalalala, minus the Spanish part.

13. afoessel macrumors newbie

Thanks much for the answers. I realize that my question was not well articulated.

My intent is to not have to install anything, but to hopefully get the pacakage ready. I fear spending too much time in VMWare installation or on XP installation only to find problems.

Or should I be confident that installation of VMWare and XP will happen with no hiccups?

Alex

14. illicium macrumors regular

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know of anywhere that will install any form of windows on a Mac that they are selling you. It's for sure not going to happen anywhere that is actually affiliated with Apple.

But I can tell you from my own experience with VMWare Fusion and Boot Camp and Vista Ultimate.

Vista installed problem free on boot camp, then VMWare Fusion installed problem free using the boot camp partition in just a few minutes.

I had zero problems, and I am running Leopard.

You should have no problem installing these things yourself, but good luck finding it all preinstalled.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think MacMall used to sell them with Windows preloaded, but yeah, I don't know anyone who will do all of it. Maybe a local computer shop. Easier maybe, not by much. But cheaper, no, I don't think so. Just do it yourself, it's not that hard.