Windows and Mac ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by petegd, Jan 1, 2008.

1. petegd macrumors newbie

I will be getting the iphone next week.

I travel with my Mac, but have a Windows PC at home. I would like to jailbreak and unlock my iphone using my Mac but also use my windows iTunes to update lists etc.

Is that feasible ? My overriding fear is that if I jailbreak it using my Mac and then use my PC, I'll brick it.

(I travel with my Mac for months at times, so waiting until I get back home is not really an option).

BTW, I searched for a thread on this, but could not find one.

Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thats what I did with an iPhone I unlocked for a friend :)

3. brando88 macrumors 6502

I see your concern, but the iPod partition of the iPhone is the only part prejudice to the operating system being switched around. For jailbreaking you are fine to do it on your Mac, and then sync iTunes again with a PC after.

4. petegd thread starter macrumors newbie

So does that mean that I would not be able to sync my PC itunes music to my jailbroken + unlocked iPhone on my Mac ? I have only 20 songs on my Mac but 7 GB worth on my PC. Obviously I would like to have my PC music on my phone.

Thanks again.

5. McGiord, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I suffer the pain to use a PC at work, and in my last trip I tried to sync my iPhone with the PC and iTunes asked me if I wanted to delete the iPhone content becuase it was sync with another computer (my MacBook) and if I want it to be loaded with the iTunes media from the PC.
    After doing some online research I found out about Swap Tunes.
    Because you are going to jailbreak it and add some apps you could use Swap Tunes that allows you to sync your iPhone with 2 computers (i.e. Mac and PC), is like having "2 partitions" in your iPhone.
    Just by tapping the icon on your iPhone you'll switch from one "iPod" to the "other".

If you are planning to buy it directly from the Apple Store you'll get the new bootloader version and could not unlock it with anySIM, you'll need either SIM Free or the SIM solutions out there...
    ________
    Suzuki FXR150

6. brando88 macrumors 6502

No, it means you may sync with the PC. Or use SwapTunes, and you can sync to both!