windows and PPC

stoid

macrumors 601
Tech^salvager said:
Which version of the PPC cpu does Windows work on? And also how much do they usually sell for?
Microsoft has not released versions of Windows for the PPC processor. You can however get an emulator like Virtual PC (commercial, $$$ but easier) or BOCHS (free, but more difficult to use) and install a standard Windows OS install on top of it.

Tech^salvager

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Portland, TX
stoid said:
Microsoft has not released versions of Windows for the PPC processor. You can however get an emulator like Virtual PC (commercial, $$$ but easier) or BOCHS (free, but more difficult to use) and install a standard Windows OS install on top of it.
no there is its called Windows NT but I do not know what PPC cpu it runs on. Does it run on the g3,g4, etc? which one will it run on? and the ones it can run on how much do they usually cost?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Tech^salvager said:
Which version of the PPC cpu does Windows work on? And also how much do they usually sell for?
There are versions of NT4 Workstation and Server, and NT 3.51 Server that run on PPC chips. If memory serves, you are limited to the 601, 603, and 603e chips. Note: You CANNOT INSTALL WINDOWS ON A Mac even with the PPC editions. They were created to run on 3rd party machines by HP and IBM. Then two evils (Intel & M$) decided to prevent non x86 systems from growing, so the multi-platform NT was discarded. BTW: NT4 also had/has versions for MIPS, SPARC, x86, and PPC. I even have a CD with (I think) all 4 versions.

TEG

Tech^salvager

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Portland, TX
TEG said:
There are versions of NT4 Workstation and Server, and NT 3.51 Server that run on PPC chips. If memory serves, you are limited to the 601, 603, and 603e chips. Note: You CANNOT INSTALL WINDOWS ON A Mac even with the PPC editions. They were created to run on 3rd party machines by HP and IBM. Then two evils (Intel & M$) decided to prevent non x86 systems from growing, so the multi-platform NT was discarded. BTW: NT4 also had/has versions for MIPS, SPARC, x86, and PPC. I even have a CD with (I think) all 4 versions.

TEG
thanks for the update TEG. that helps alot
BTW its not sparc but Alpha that NT was also avaible for. I think there was a sparv version made but was never officaly released. I'll have to check my info again though. I also I think I read somewhere some one said it works on 604 ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.