Windows and Remoting in?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rocketspark, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rocketspark macrumors newbie

Alright, so i'll preface this with that I am a designer. I do a lot of different things my full-time job deals mostly with websites. So I use a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, but also a lot of CSS and HTML editing. That being said...

I grew up mostly using PCs so I am very comfortable on them but given my profession and schooling and all that I also am comfortable with Macs. As my primary machine I am using one of the new 24" iMacs. It's been great I have had no real problems at all <knock on wood>.

My work uses pretty much only PCs. We deal with IE6, IE7, FF, etc. They won't make the plunge for me to go to Apple. I frequently have to remote into work and thus use Remote Desktop (specifically the MS Remote Desktop Beta 2). It's been good and functional but really slow and choppy. I have a Dell laptop and previously even had a regular desktop PC and remoting in from those seemed to warrant better results. I am fairly new to VPN, and any other programs or ways to log into outside machines.

So now to the real point of everything I guess I have two problems/questions at hand. The first is I would like to remote into my work PC but not have it be terrible (slow/choppy/etc). And the second is installing windows via bootcamp or something similiar - i need access to some windows-based items (such as Internet Explorer 6-7 not to mention Firefox, Opera, etc).

If I can remote into work it solves both of those but I need things to be faster and a more solid experience. If there isn't a real solution (via other software or some special tweaks or something) would installing Windows and using that as a test bed and/or even remoting in from Windows offer some resolution?

Anyway, I am probably going to read this later and ask why I wrote so much. But just wondering if anyone else has any similiar experiences or feedback they can provide.

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I use remote desktop to connect to a Vista Box at my office, over a VPN, and it works well. Performance is directly related to the speed of your internet connection, and the speed of the connection at the remote end.

If you are getting slow or choppy performance, I would think it would be an issue with the speed of one of the internet connections.

You can lower the number of colors in the Remote Desktop preferences and see if that helps. I usually use "Thousands", instead of "Millions".

I don't think it will be faster to remote from windows. Using Bootcamp would be the fastest, assuming you have all of the software you need, and have the data locally on your Mac. It does complicate things though, in that you have to deal with having the data files in multiple places.

3. rocketspark thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that sort of my fear on things. Previous to having the Mac I had a Dell desktop and remoting in was fine and seemed fairly fast. But after I got the Mac it seemed a little slower. I definitely want to minimize on having data too many places. But anyway yeah thanks for the reply and info.

4. boazjoe macrumors member

I want to venture into this. Have a satellite connection at home. Where can I get a primer on these types of connections.

5. boazjoe macrumors member

ps. to complicate things, have PC desktop and imac g5 on wireless network connected to the satellite modem.

Thanks in advance.

6. ajx22 macrumors regular

The best solution I have found to date is:
    www.gotomypc.com

As long as your internet connection is good - it's great for speed; and you're able to adjust the "Performance Preferences" to speed-up the connection - ie. removing "display effects / wallpaper / font smoothing / windows content while dragging".

I've been using this for both personal use; as well as to connect to client systems since 2001; and can't praise them enough.

They have a 30-Day Free Trial regardless.

HTH,

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i would recommend logmein.com

they have a FREE personal use area, and then you can pay for all these other features blaa blaa but for your use the free version would be quite good.

i use it frequently between my and my girlfriends PC, she has a slow 256kb connection which makes it quite slow to operate, im sure it would be faster on a good connection.

8. kygeographer macrumors member

Seconded on this one. I use the free version all the time to control my home iMac from my Windows machine at work, and vice versa. I've never had a problem with connection speeds, even when connecting from a slow machine.

And yes, the best part is that it's free. Did I mention it generally works thru firewalls?

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If you are connecting to your Windows PC at WORK, then you probably have you have a Cisco PIX or ASA for your corporate firewall, I would recommend that you stick with the Cisco VPN client. It works well with the Mac (watch out for updates with new OS releases though), and it is very secure.

Better to have a solution that is managed by the IT department, rather than a third party solution like letmein, and gotomypc. These things are designed to work around the firewall, and can defeat some of the security policies that the IT department put in place for a reason.

That said, if you can't get cooperation from the IT department, then I suppose you are on your own...

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Don't know why it would be slower on a Mac vs PC with the same connection.

In most cases your Internet download at home is fast enough, and the limiting factor may be your uplaod speed at the office. On a fast connection at work (I have two T1's), it comes across very well to my Comcast Cable connection. If your internet connection at work, is DSL or something with a slower upload speed, then that may be the limiting factor.

Then again, if it was "OK" with a Windows PC, maybe you should look at the preferences in the Mac Remote Desktop client, and see how that compares to your windows setup.

11. rocketspark thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. thanks everyone for the replies. My connection at home is with AT&T uverse and the work connection is pretty nice definitely. We're chiefly a domain registrar and hosting company and have a really nice connection.

i believe our IT guys are going to finally set me up a VPN connection. So hopefully that will be best.