windows anti virus on dual boot Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by r3vm1k3, Apr 28, 2010.

1. r3vm1k3 macrumors newbie

I have Windows 7 installed on my iMac via Parallels. I do not use the windows partition to do anything on the web. Do I need to install anti-virus and anti-spyware for windows or just be concerned about the Mac side? Bottom line - is the windows installation vulnerable for virus even though I do not connect to the internet in any way using that OS?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you don't have access to the internet via Windows and don't open strange files in Windows that have been given to you, then you're more than safe.

Also a Windows virus can't harm Mac OS X, due to the different architecture of it.

Using MRoogle will show you thousands of threads about that "virus angst".

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

If you do decide to get something I recommend Avast, the free version is more then enough and is very light wight.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Microsoft is giving away their Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I've installed on a few PCs. Seems to work well and not prevent access you need while keeping out the bad stuff. Only time will tell how effective it is against a day one outbreak. Regardless, you really should have some sort of AV when running Windows. Of course if you never allow it to connect to the internet it's considerably less likely you will have a problem.

Cheers,