windows applications mac can't do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by truelies, Oct 23, 2013.

1. truelies macrumors regular

Are there a list of applications windows have but Mac doesn't? I need to decide if I need to install windows 7 on my macbook to overcome this.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course there are.

Instead of asking for an exhaustive list of windows only apps, why not see what apps you use or need, have OSX counterparts.

3. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

If you need to run Windows apps and there is no OS X version, look at the virtual machine options: VMware, Parallels, or VirtualBox.

4. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I agree with this. when i moved over to mac i just used osx as it was and as things pop up I found alternatives.

5. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

After you found alternatives, can you do half task on mac and half on windows? I am worried about this. Install VMWARE really cost resource.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I think the poster meant he found OSX apps the could do the same or similar things as windows counterparts. I did the same thing.

Then use Bootcamp. It's free and comes with every mac. It allows you dedicate some of your drive space to running Windows.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

For me, personally? There's nothing like TortoiseSVN or Visual Studio. Most nondescript apps have an OS X equivalent though -- with the exception of GarageBand, which has nothing like it on Windows.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Why would you want them on a Mac anyway? Don't you need Windows to run those VS creations in the first place? Your IDE on Mac becomes Xcode. Which does both SVN and Git natively.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Only if you target Windows. If you target Web then the results work in anything with a browser.

10. walkie macrumors 6502

That's why I never supported Visual Studio at all, this suite was meant to work only on Windows, I moved to Java (Netbeans, Eclipse) and QT C++ which runs on MAC/Windows/Linux and couldn't be happier with them.

11. hexblot macrumors member

Don't want this to turn into a religious war but... I try to go with whatever my current platform offers natively. It runs better, and helps me NOT be exposed to another attack vector.

I don't know if this applies to other people as well, but I've come to regard Java the same way I do Flash - just steer clear of it if possible.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I'm sure that there are tons of other people that enjoy all the benefits!

12. walkie macrumors 6502

If you don't use Applets then there's no problem using Java, every time a security issue corcerning Java comes up the ignorant journalists blame Java, it's not Java! it's Applets the ones to blame (Applets are only part of Java technology), I use J2EE for web development and it's fine, fast and secure, Applets are obsolete technology that came with Java at the beginning and nowdays there's no reason for developers to use them not to mention the security issues that come and go from time to time, Flash is no longer needed to make rich animations web pages neither playing videos, that's what HTML5 is for. If you want to develop with native tools on a specific OS then it's fine, in my case I need to develop on cross-platform environments.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most CAD and CAM applications.

14. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

Visual studio is a big problem. If you company use it, then you can't use it on Mac without windows.

15. fratey macrumors regular

For me personally, it would be...

* Most of the CAD/CAM/CAE/PLM/Simulation software on the market. This includes SolidWorks, SolidEdge, CATIA (although it has a unix server component), Creo Elements/Pro, PowerShape/PowerMill/etc, Mathcad...

* The "real" Office versions – Office for Mac is of course far superior to iWork, but still doesn't hold a candle to Office 2013 or even 2010. Most of the Excel documents used by the finance sector would make Excel 2011 crash.

16. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

17. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

For 3D work, 3DS Max only supports Windows. Can't run that well in a VM at all.

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My girlfriend asked me how to use VMware Fusion the other day, so she could use MS Paint.

Nevermind she has Photoshop installed on her mac too!
    But Visual Studio is most betterest :D

19. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Visual Studio 2013 is a beauty.

20. truelies thread starter macrumors regular

windows applications mac can't do?

I think I still need to install win7 on MacBook. So I only need to bring one laptop when go out. Which way is a better solution to install win7 on Mac?

21. hexblot macrumors member

As a web developer myself... that's also what HTML (5 or earlier) is for ;) It's completely platform agnostic and does not have any dependency on the underlying system.

As for applets ... I do have a technical background, and I am a developer currently (not involved in Java at all though), and I don't know the difference. I can guarantee you that neither do 99% of your target audience :(

22. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I just started using 2013 yesterday. I do like it, of course I liked 2012 as well.

----------

I tried both parallels and bootcamp. I like running windows in bootcamp better.