Windows Apps On Mac OS X (no emulation)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ravernomina, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Ravernomina macrumors member

Hello Everyone Im new to the Fourm and this is my first post here ^^.

Well i decided to share some awesome info to shove it down the windows users face ^^. Hardcore Windows Games Running On Mac OS X. A Program called WINE. Its not an emulator but runs the Windows API's. So no emulation. To get this program you need to have These Items

MacPorts
    Xcode
    X11

Once that is all installed open up terminal and type this code in

Snow Leopard
    Code:
    sudo port install wine-devel +universal
    for Leopard
    Code:
    sudo port install wine-devel
    once all done and installed to run any program simple type this into terminal

Code:
    wine /user/you/location of .exe/app.exe
    This will load/run/install the windows program and even run HD games only made for windows on mac OS X without moding/emulation/bootcamp. They will run at full speed or better. Good luck and enjoy ^^

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Guess what WINE stands for. Win-Emulator. This is emulation. Meaning not everything will work. And they will not run at the native Windows speed.

Glad you posted this tho... I was under the impression that WINE was Linux only, and Crossover was the only way for Mac. :apple:

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Completely incorrect on all fronts.

WINE is a recursive acronym and stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator. As the name suggests it is not an emulator :).

It implements the Win32 API as a native library.

Read this:

http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_Myths#head-7c9ecddfaff60d8891414b68d74277244e7109eb

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I guess that's me proved wrong... I could have sworn it was emulation though. Ahh welll.... I take it all back. I suppose it's like the GNU is Not Unix business...

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

i believe its WINE for linux and DARWINE for mac.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cross-Over is another Wine application for running windows applications.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I would be curious to see the day Wine is able to shove anything in anyone's face. :p

8. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

But neither WINE or Crossover Office run all applications for Windows under OS X. One has to go and check compatibility lists to see if their program is supported under WINE or CO.

Good information though on installing WINE under OS X.

9. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Funny, because WINE actually stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator"

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Darwine is just a prepackaged version of Wine for Darwin / Mac OS X but it is hideously out of date now.

Best just to get the latest version from the Wine website directly and compile it yourself. Or if you prefer an easier time of things the method posted by the OP looks like a very good option.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

While do you feel the need to shove anything down anyone's face?

Besides, considering that you are correct and and that you are in fact using Windows APIs and not emulating... would not make you... a Windows user?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's much more 1336 you mention it after someone else has already pointed it out and the other user has already acknowledged their mistake. ;)

13. kolax macrumors G3

Never really had any real success with the likes of CrossOver or anything. I find it easier just to boot up in Windows via Boot Camp if it's a game, or just load up Parallels Desktop.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Crossover is just the commericalized version of Wine. Same stuff, except you get support, a GUI, and some automation of steps.

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Running Windows as a VM in Fusion or Parallels Desktop is not emulation and much better than this hack. Some of you need to learn about virtualization versus emulation....

S-

16. Ravernomina thread starter macrumors member

Um you would need ALOT of resources because you will be running OSes at once and also you need to run the game which will take a lot of resource causing lags and disconnects so VMing is a Horrible Idea for gaming.

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Ravernomina,

The bigger problem you have with gaming on the Mac is the video card. The Mac is not a hardcore gaming platform. If you are a hardcore gamer, you won't be using a Mac.....

S-

18. kolax macrumors G3

As is using WINE (i.e. CrossOver).

If you want to game on your Mac, install Windows and use Boot Camp.

19. borcanm macrumors regular

Just stick to bootcamp because it works best. I tried Crossover and it didn't work. I might have for some people, but it is a very limited program.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

dude... i think we can all agree that the mac is not for gaming. we knew this before. id use wine for the occasional lightweight windows program, nothing that needed any serious amount of memory and graphics.

use your common sense, we aren't stupid.

21. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

VMWare Fusion is okay for most "limited" Windows stuff. For gaming I too would recommend BootCamp.

22. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I have Crossover, but I've never gotten around to using it.

23. dyn macrumors 68030

WINE implements the Windows API but it does not fully implement DirectX. Gaming in WINE and Fusion/Parallels can be done but it isn't really advisable because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't as these applications also do not fully implement DirectX and OpenGL. If you want to do a lot of gaming than either use boot camp, a pc or get a console.

The resource part is very inaccurate as well. We have moved forward in the last couple of 10 years. We now have products like Fusion and Parallels that are very resource friendly. If the vm isn't doing much the cpu usage can be below 3%. Please try those virtualisation products before making very inaccurate assumptions like you're doing now. It's on the same level as the guy who said WINE was emulation.

In Snow Leopard there is also no need for the +universal as this is the default for every port unless that doesn't work and you need to enforce it. You might want to add some explanation to this part as to why you use +universal.

24. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Why don't you actually read BEFORE jumping in a thread calling me "dude" and telling me to use my common sense.

Did you read the first post in this thread? If you did, you would know what my post was about. It was not directed at you or anyone else other than the OP. The OP said:

"Hardcore Windows Games Running On Mac OS X"

Did you read that. Go read his first post again. I'll wait.

So, you may know the Mac is not for gaming or hardcore gaming. But the OP appears to not know it since he thinks WINE gets him there based on his comments.

So just back off.....

S-