Windows apps on OSX without Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macstatic, Aug 11, 2014.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to run Windows apps without installing Microsoft Windows?
    I'm asking because I need to run a couple of simple and small Windows utility programs (.bat and .exe files) but have otherwise no need for Windows.

I know about Wine, but believe it only runs certain pre-defined Windows software (and the software in question isn't found on their list over compatible software). WinOnX seems to be a similar app, though I'm not sure if it works the same way (they also have a compatibility database, so perhaps it also only works with a pre-defined list of Windows software)

So which options do I have if I don't want to buy Windows? (and please don't point me to some shady download sites as I want to do this legaly).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wine is you're only solution.

You can run windows within OS X, via Parallels or Vmware but you still need a copy of windows to do that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. dzejms macrumors member

dzejms

Yes, i know. Either Crossover or wine we'll let him run not only predefined apps.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. dzejms macrumors member

dzejms

Of course.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have Crossover installed for years. It runs some selected apps, even some apps not listed as supported. However, I think you didn't count on it. Buy only if the desired app is listed as supported, otherwise it can be a waste of money.