Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hey All,

Recently finally took the plunged and installed windows 8.1 on my mac (for steam). What i did was isntalled windows, then instalelled the driver updates from 2/11/14 which covered wifi and such. At this point everything went fine.

I went to shut down, and windows started to install an update. After then when i booted up it immediately went to black screen (as if sleeping) it wouldnt wake out of it. Based on some searching it seamed to be a common issue. I was going to try and manually remove the update / display driver but i couldnt get into safe mode for the life of me (shift+F8 no?)

Anywho, since it was a new install, i just redid it. I reinstalled windows 8.1 and then the bootcamp drivers. However now (and it is) i have turned OFF automatic windows updates. Is there goign to be and potential issues with this? Should i keep updates on? (and if so, how do i get around this black screen issue)

it works fine now with updates off, and beign that im just going to be gaming on it, i figure...why not just not let it update. Opinions?

(and for reference, all bootcamp driver updates pushed from apple should be fine right? Its just the windows updates themselves that were causing compatibility issues?)

2013 15" retina if it matters.

Thanks!

(off to play South Park SoT during lunch!)

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
No issues really and comes down to personal preference. I used to have auto update on but ran into driver issues (Windows installed drivers that were premature) causing slight headaches to roll back the system. Now, I just have Windows check but do NOT download so I can quickly scan what is being installed.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Ya. I think that's what il do. That update killed me.

Is there a trick to booting to safe mode when using bootcamp? I couldn't get it haha. I restarted all of windows install but next time I won't want to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.