Windows behaving strangely, unable to minimize

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SINDEEZ, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SINDEEZ macrumors newbie

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
    Machine Model: PowerBook6,4
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1.25 GB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.8.3f1

When attempting to minimize a window, nothing happens. I have tried every way of minimizing and restarting programs, computer etc.

If I can minimize, it will behave strangely by popping out randomly even though I was not re-opening it. I have to move the entire window out of the way to view the desktop/other programs open. Unless I quit, the window will remain up.

I first started noticing that my app Sticky Windows was not working. Tried installing, uninstalling and repeated but it will not work. I also downloaded iStat which successfully installed, but doesn't appear in the menu bar.

I believe something is seriously wrong and I am not able to find a solution.

Any help on this is appreciated.

:] :(

2. raziel777 macrumors regular

Look in system preferences for your istat icon. Listed under other.
    Don't know bout the crazy windows.

3. SINDEEZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yes, I got the iStat figures out so thanks for your response :]

If I have an application open I am unable to minimize it. If I quit then reopen sometimes it will work, but whatever I click on next will bring it back, then it's stuck.

Any advice on this?

Cheers

4. liammc01 macrumors newbie

well first I have to send my sympathy to you for buying in to macs lies and falce advertising.These computers are junk.I wont go in to the endless and mind boggelingly wierd behaviour of macs only to tell you this is my second mac due to having been convinced by the man in the mac store that it was me at fault and not my mac and that I had damaged it somehow.I later bought a new one .HA! Its a mac book pro and its worse than the g4 which wa slow and kept crashin.Im trying to write but with difficulty as the macbook is like a retarded child in contrast to my friends pcs which arent as pretty but function with some grace unlike mac products.Dont believe the staff in the stores and dont be fooled in to buying new soft ware.Again my sympathies to you on buying in to such a crap product.

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 12"
    Machine Model: PowerBook6,4
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1.25 GB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.8.3f1

When attempting to minimize a window, nothing happens. I have tried every way of minimizing and restarting programs, computer etc.

If I can minimize, it will behave s

5. fpar macrumors regular

^^^I have a mbp and its fine, its my second mac and the best computer I have ever owned. For the minimizing issue, run the hardware diagnostics on your install disc and then do a archive reinstall.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

is your trackpad behaving properly in other situations?

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, you are using a Powerbook G4... correct?
    What version of OS X are you using and is it up to date?

Have you tried all of the standard procedures?
    Repairing permissions
    Resetting the PRAM
    Reinstalling your OS, either Archive and Install or a clean install

Try those first and give an update on your status

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. SINDEEZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, everything is going well. I believe my problem is with the old version of OSX.

I added <a href="http://www.donelleschi.com/stickywindows/">sticky windows</a> which is amazing and runs perfectly on my iMac but one day it would no longer work, I tried re-installing but I think with the update it just doesn't work with my version of OSX 10.2.

I tried to reinstall OSX but lost my disc. Is there anywhere to download the proper version? I feel like I have scoured every place imaginable only to find updates for later versions of OSX.

Thanks for your help!

;)

9. SINDEEZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, version is 10.2 and I have tried everything...there are MAJOR CPU spikes no matter what program I run.

Is this normal?

I know this computer is older than dirt but I thought it had more life in it.

Thanks for your advice.

:eek:

10. louiek macrumors 6502

Whilst I don't have anywhere near the problems you're having, for the past couple of weeks I've sporadically been unable to minimise safari and terminal windows with apple-w, and the yellow button in the corner gets greyed out too.
    So if it is the same problem it's not the OS, 'cos I'm on 10.5.7 and a macbook pro.