Windows Boot Manager can't comm with CD under VMWare

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by duggram, Nov 13, 2010.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

Got a new MBA with superdrive. Downloaded VMWare Fusion which installs easily. Start the Win7 install, start the VMWare tools install, Win7 install stops saying it can't communicate with the CD. It's obviously communicating because it exists. It works fine with other installs, i.e. Office 2011.

I've tried reinstalling VMWare, but can't seem to completely uninstall it. When I reinstall it already has my 16 digit reg number.

I can delete the Windows 7 x64.vmwarevm file but i still get the same error.

Any suggestions on how I can get VMWare to help win install comm with the CD?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check your VM configuration. Is the Superdrive set up as the VMs Optical drive?

To install VMWare Tools this needs to change to the Tools ISO.

B

3. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Thanks for the reply. How do I get the CD to change to the Tools ISO?

I down loaded the Parallels trial and it's telling me similar things, i.e. I need to install Tools, and if the Tools setup doesn't start click on the CD drive in the VM and then click on setup.

The problem then becomes finding the VM's CD drive. The one on my desktop is definitely not it. The VM window is filled with the Windows install and is frozen by this dialog that wants me to point at available drivers.

There's something about this install process that I'm missing. I know it's me and that's what makes it difficult.

4. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

In the hardware setup it now says the CD is connected to prl-tools-win.iso.

5. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Right now I'm reinstalling OS X. It's a brand new computer and all I've installed is Office 2011. Not a big deal to reinstall. I like the little thumb drive they give you for reinstalling. Apple always has cool stuff.

Before reinstalling I ran a hardware test with my superdrive plugged in. I got a reported hardware error. A search found an Apple support post on MBA and this error: 4SNS/1/40000001:IDOR-0.040 It's due to running the test without being plugged in.

Now I can't remember if all my attempts to setup a VM were while unplugged. Not sure if this will solve the problem but both VMWare and Parallels ended up with the same Windows error.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's what is supposed to happen. I don't have an MBA to check with beyond this though...

B

7. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Just got back from the Apple store with a replacement MBA because the first one had a RAM error. During my efforts I ran a hardware test and there were no reported RAM errors. I'll try installing again this evening.

8. duggram thread starter macrumors 6502

duggram

Yesterday I got a reply from VMWare support. Here's the resolution to the problem. The video makes it pretty simple. I'm on the road right now and won't get a chance to try this until Friday morning.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Create an ISO image and install from that. I definitely should have mentioned that, as that is what I would have done to begin with.

B