Windows boot USB, re Samsung 830 firmware upgrades...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John Fridinger, Aug 8, 2012.

1. John Fridinger macrumors newbie

I have 2012 cMPB due to be delivered Monday, and a Samsung 830/512gb also on the way... I hesitated to get the 830 at first because a firmware upgrade has to be run from Windows, but went for it because of how well it is mentioned in various threads...

I know nothing of Windows, and will not be using Bootcamp...Worse case I figured is take it out and hook it via usb/sata3 cable to a friend's Windows machine...

But it occurs to me to wonder, and ask those who might know, is it possible to create a Windows boot drive, say on a USB thumbdrive partition with the other partition being a Mountain Lion boot/install, per directions pointed at in various threads here, and which I intend to do in any case... And then also install a browser on that Windows partition, so that when called for I can boot to Windows, go to the Samsung website, download whatever necessary, upgrade the 530 firmware, and after which shut down and reboot normally with the new firmware all in place..?

Then of course, if it is doable, is the HOW, especially for someone such as moi, with no experience of Windows... I'm sure I can borrow a Windows install disk from the same friend who might help with some of the Window aspects, but past that I have no idea, not even knowing if it is possible...

So the short of it is; is it possible, and if so, how..?

Thanks for all the great guidance I have found in these threads over the last couple weeks of coming to this point... I'm coming from a late 2006 MBP, osx10.4.11... Big changes ahead...:)

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

For whatever reason, Microsoft restricted the Windows installer from being able to install Windows on a USB or external drive. Or at least on Windows 7/8, not sure about other editions.

So I would recommend either doing it from your friend's PC or using Boot Camp on your Mac to create a small Windows partition, install Windows, update the firmware on your 830, and then do what you wish with the drive. :)

3. John Fridinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Would having a small Bootcamp/Windows partition (8-10 gig..?) just being there make me vulnerable to Windows malware/viruses even though I will be booted in Mountain Lion..?

If not then this may be an elegant solution and I thank you for suggesting it, even as hesitant as I am to get into Bootcamp and Windows... Get past my resistance and I might even learn something..?:)

4. mjn298 macrumors regular

i just installed an 830 today

is it really necessary to update the firmware?

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

If you're just using Windows to update the firmware then no, you should be totally fine. You'll only be using it for a very short time. Even if your Windows partition was affected by something it should have no effect on your OS X partition.

If all you need Windows for is updating the drive and that's it, just do what I suggested and then erase the Windows partition once you're done via the Boot Camp app and you'll be set!

6. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Check your firmware version as you may be current - CXM03B1Q is the latest per Samsung website

About This Mac-->More Info-->System Report-->Serial ATA-->Revision

7. LeeM macrumors 6502a

Ive got an 830, as long as it works I'm not bothered what firmware is on it and I won't be messing around in future to update it as long as it continues to function perfectly.