Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Typifyre

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
Interesting

I have had a Mac Pro 2,1, for some time, that I was never able to successfully achieve AHCI mode under Windows with and just recently purchased a 5,1. What are the chances the newer hardware would affect the relative ease of achieving this? I'd love to still be able to use the Bootcamp Control Panel as my primary boot disk is Windows, but was put off by the amount of time I spent on NOT getting it to work last time. I have a copy of both Windows 7 & 8 x64, if either would be a better candidate.

The instructions seem rather long and convoluted, anywhere I've found them. From my own personal experience changing the disk mode after installing Windows even on a Windows machine is a problem. But that's likely an issue the MBR patch resolves. What are the chances you could patch the MBR of an NTFS formatted disk prior to installing Windows, letting Windows install the AHCI drivers for you during the OS install after being forced into AHCI mode by the patched MBR?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.