Windows bootcamp, MacHD(HFS+)visible, External(HFS+) not visible.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by justperry, Jun 3, 2013.

1. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I have Windows 7 on my Apple/Mini as so many people here, what I don't understand is that the Macintosh HD is visible in Computer yet an External HD formatted the same as the internal isn't visible.

Any people here have any idea why this is?

I know I can install MacDrive to make it R/W but I just find it odd that it isn't visible.
    The drive is connected with Firewire, didn't look in Hardware on Windows yet, might be the Firewire driver although I doubt it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It probably can't mount because it doesn't recognize the format. That is USB drives a more sensitive and while the internal drive is mounted you cannot access it because windows doesn't have the drivers (hence the need for macdrive as you know)

FWIW, that happens to me as well.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It probably has something to do with the partition table more than anything else. How many partitions do you have on the external and which partition map is it using GPT/MBR or APM?

Boot Camp is a weird hybrid of GPT and MBR on most systems, this is probably not how your external is partitioned.

B

4. justperry thread starter macrumors 604

justperry

Thanks balamw.

Ah, might have found it, it is Apple partition Map, not GUID.

Oh, and it has one partition, HFS+

Attached Files: