Windows Bootcamp on Momentus Xt 500gb

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pliez, Mar 2, 2011.

1. pliez macrumors newbie

pliez

Hi, I run both mac os x snow leopard and 64bit windows 7 via bootcamp on my late 2008 macbook pro4,1
    2.4GHz Core 2 duo
    4gb 667 of ram
    200gb 7200rpm

understandably i am fast running out of space with two operating systems and apps on one disk! I have been considering upgrading to the momentus Xt 500gb HD - hybrid drive
    My question is - has anyone tried this hardrive on a late 2008 macbook pro4,1 with dual operating system via bootcamp and if so are there any known issues - i understand the firmware update for the xt has brought about many fixes. Is it even compatible with this model which i bought 5 days before the launch of the unibody. - this was a conscious decision as i had my heart set on the classic look (not a fan of the non-chamfered black keys!

Kind Regards

Pliez

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That should work fine, it will act as a normal HDD, but just faster. If you do notice anything funky, I'd RMA it very quickly, as they have been known to have issues seemingly not related to firmware.

3. pliez thread starter macrumors newbie

pliez

Quality or quantity and testimonies?

Thanks very much that is most helpful, does this mean it won't last as long as other drives thought or is the production line not churning out the quality just the quantity?

Just another call out to anyone with a mbp4,1 to let me know about anythings to watch out for.

Kind Regards

Pliez

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not sure, I have just heard that there are an unusual number of bad drives for that model. I doubt that it's very common, just more so than others. If you get a good one to begin with, it should last you quite a while.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have one of those in my MacBook Pro dual boot via Boot Camp. Works fine.

6. pliez thread starter macrumors newbie

pliez

Thanks Anonymous Freak (what a name!) i hope thats not just an alias for seagate sales team! ha!

Thanks for all the comments guys and girls

Kind Regards

Pliez

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

In all honest, I've heard more horror stories about those drives than good. Also, they've been out a while, and no other manufacturer has bothered releasing a competitor. That should say something (in a bad way).

But the most important point, the 4GB of flash on that drive acts like a cache. It speeds up whatever program/activity you do the more you do it. However, that starts over when you boot into a new partition. So if you're jumping back and forth from OS X to Windows a lot, you're probably not going to see any huge gains. Even at its best, the XT isn't anywhere near as fast as an SSD. 500GB WD Scorpio Black drives can be had for fairly cheap, and they're pretty much one of the fastest mechanical 2.5" drives on the market.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Nope, comes from a spoof on Slashdot's "Anonymous Coward" for people who don't log in.

9. ILikeBootCamp macrumors newbie

How did you get it to work?

Hi,

Copied my old 250GB hard drive onto a new 500GB +4GB flash Momentus XT.
    I "WinClone" to copy my bootcamp Windows partition and super-duper for the MacOS partition. Mac OS works fine, but Windows blue-screens half way.
    Deleted the partition, tried to install from scratch - windows installer freezes on "select [A] XP Home XP Pro" menu.

HDD has latest firmware from Seagate.

What can I try?