Windows bootcamp questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hetalia, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Hetalia macrumors member

Hetalia

Well I found that I'll need Windows 8 after all, so I was wondering is there a guide to help me install Windows 8 on my MBP.

1. You need Windows 8 on a USB Drive Right? So does that mean I have to download/buy it from Windows then put it on a USB stick/card?

2. How big of a GB stick would I need?

Any help is appreciated. :)

2. LeeM macrumors 6502a

think i used an 8gb stick for my windows 7 install. bootcamp talks you through it. you just need to find and download a windows 8 iso download on microsoft site

3. Hetalia, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

Thanks I wasn't sure exactly how to do it. Glad bootcamp walks you through the process. Do I download the 64 or 32 bit one. I found a site where you can get a 90 day evaluation of Windows 8. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx?ocid=wc-tn-wctc

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

actually, does your laptop have a disk drive? if it does you cnat install from a usb you'll have to download the iso and burn it to dvd, or get an original dvd. you'll still need a usb to download and install the drivers onto

5. Hetalia, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

It's a MBP Mid 2012 I think It has a SSD. I'm assuming that is the disk drive. Edit: I can pick up Windows 8 Core for $119.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Connect an 8GB USB flash drive to your system, and then:

1. Applications -> Utilities -> Bootcamp Assistant

2. Uncheck the option to download drivers for Windows (if you have problems with the download, BCA makes you start from scratch ... Pain in the butt.

3. Take defaults for rest of choices.

(It's interesting to note that when I did it, I had my Windows 8 ISO image in my Documents directory, and BCA used it automatically.)

4. While BCA creates your Windows 8 flash drive, download the latest bootcamp drivers: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

5. When the USB drive is done, copy that downloaded file to the USB drive.

Some more notes of interest:

When BCA rebooted my 2012 MBP to start the Windows 8 install, the system couldn't find a boot disk. I didn't bother trying to figure out exact root cause. Instead, I rebooted the system again, held down the Option key, and selected the WININSTALL USB flash drive as the boot device.

7. LeeM macrumors 6502a

no a disk drive to put cd's and dvd's in. ive had problems with trying to install from usb on 2 macs with dvd drives where its just not let me do it and i had to use a windows dvd instead

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

If your MBP has a built in optical drive, you must use that to install Windows. A USB flash drive will not work.

9. Hetalia thread starter macrumors member

Hetalia

Yeah, that's what it is. Sorry I'm Mac dumb this is my first Mac and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have no problem buying Windows 8. From what you guys are saying this doesn't sound too easy. If I didn't have to have certain software on my laptop I would be satisfied with OS X. But thank you everyone for your responses. I'll use it as a guide when I go to install Windows 8.