windows can't see mac drives? [Solved]

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by matt9b, Sep 25, 2008.

1. matt9b macrumors member

So I'm using vmware fusion to run win xp.

I installed Macfours MacDrive. Yet windows xp still can't see my 2 x 1TB seagate OS X extended (journalled) hard drives.

Machine details:
    8 core 2.8Ghz mac pro
    6GB RAM

Any ideas?

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I think macdrive is designed to read removable mac formatted disks placed in the drives of PCs. VMWare makes it a very different problem. The PC in there doesn't even know it's trapped inside a mac, and doesn't know about the mac drive outside it's little sandbox. One of the key features of running a VM is that it is completely isolated from the hardware it's running on by the emulation software. People use this feature to test security and virus scanning software. They infect a new VM, test the software, then throw out the VM, with no risk of it getting back to the host system.

I do believe though that the VMWare sofware has a relatively easy way to "see" the mac drive. The software sets up a network between the windows virtual machine and the mac and the mac shares it's drive over this network. It's been a while since I used VMWare though, I could be wrong.

3. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

I see. What a headache! So if I want to be sharing a storage drive between windows and OS X I am going to be needing a bootcamp installation of windows after all?

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

No. Look in the VMWare help for shared folders.

5. matt9b thread starter macrumors member

fantastical! Thanks chaos86! :)

It was: Whilst running windows xp, go to the menu bar at the top -> virtual machine -> settings -> shared folders (pane on the left) -> plus sign (at the bottom) -> add shared folder -> choose the name and path and click apply.