Windows can't see my external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ciel Noir, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Ciel Noir macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I've just installed Windows on my MacBook with Boot Camp. I decided to format the disk NTFS instead of FAT because everyone says NTFS is safer and more reliable. The problem is, I can't seem to use my external hard drive when using Windows, and can't copy files from Mac OS to the Windows disk because NTFS is read-only. There are some pretty big files I have on my MacBook that I want to use in Windows.

The external drive is a Western Digital "My Book".

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but is there a way of using my hard drive in both Mac OS and Windows? If not is my only option of transferring data from one OS to the other to reinstall Windows as a FAT drive or to use DVD-Rs?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

FAT32 format can be read by both windows and Mac. NTFS is the format for windows startup disks so perhaps that is part of the problem?

4. Ciel Noir thread starter macrumors newbie

MacDrive was the answer! I got it and now I can take anything from my Mac folders while in Windows and copy it to that partition. Thank you so much for your help Spinnerlys!

Quantum, I think that is the problem. But with MacDrive I don't think there's any point in having a FAT32 Windows partition.