windows changed login password, I can not access, get to regedit, locked out

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by denny2878, Apr 10, 2008.

1. denny2878 macrumors newbie

I am using win xp sp2. Password changed itself. I do not know why the password changed, there was no password before. I cannot get to regedit to by-pass password and therefore cannot log on at all. Anyone have a suggestion (besides re-install parallels)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Passwords definitely don't "change themselves".

Perhaps you should try and empty password if you didn't have one before?

As in, click the user and just leave the password field blank.

3. denny2878 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did as you suggested before posting. I also tried every password I could think I ever used without luck. Maybe a bug or virus but I can't even run that without getting into windows parallels.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

FYI, this is a problem with Windows, not with Parallels.

Sounds like you're going to have to reinstall Windows in a new VM.

5. volleyfreak macrumors newbie

Any solutions to password problem?

Hi Denny.

My computer started having the same problem. When starting normally, after typing in password the system shuts itself down. When I restart in safe mode, it doesn't recognize the password and just keeps popping up the login page.

Just beginning to explore my options.

6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Heh, type control-alt-delete *twice* at the prompt for a password, try:

"Administrator" as the user name, no password, if that doesn't work try "Owner" as the user name and no password. You'd be surprised how often that works on Windows machines (I used to fix Gateway laptops for a living, and morons who didn't provide a password and expected us to fix their laptop got p0wned by this method). Or I just re-imaged their drives and gave them a Factory-Fresh Reload (FFR).

We also had password cracking utilities which you can find online for getting into Windows XP easily enough. Usually requires burning a special CD to boot from tho.

There was even a special cracker for fingerprint scanners, but that was kept protected by the supervisor in case us peeons somehow made a copy and posted it to the interweb.

7. denny2878 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi vollely,

I did not reload windows as "yellow" suggested. I fixed the problem, but it was so long ago I can not remember what I did, sorry. If it comes to me I will re-post. I also did not do what "sayer" suggested, but it may be worth a shot.

Denny

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you can get hold of a copy of ERD Commander there is a local admin password reset utility on there.

Very very handy tool to have.

9. TataTata07 macrumors newbie

Restart Windows and before the screen of the blue bar and windows xp. click F8 like crazy and boot up Safe Mode and login into the account named Administrator and change your password in that account.