Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Hi guys,

I have been wanting to convert to iMac for a while now as I just think because we use everything Apple the most sensible thing would be to purchase an iMac. I love how it looks and would do away with the god ugly desktop box and monitor and have an all-in-one computer.

As a complete novice and looking at the prices for an iMac it's very daunting and a bit in the dark at which one would very much suit us. Also whether to buy brand new or simply purchase a 'like new' older mac which will do pretty much do the same job?

Our main usage would be for iTunes (over the years I have noticed Windows REALLY hates iTunes), surfing the net, and one of the things I would like to do is purchase Final Cut Pro to start editing videos.

We don't use the PC much for gaming either but it would be nice to have the option as a back up as I know these things are pretty bad at upgrading, on second thought, I suppose the only game the other half plays is the Sims, but hasn't played it for a while so I'm pretty sure we could rule this required spec out.

I do like the 4K screens but is it really necessary at this stage, is it more of a nice to have than it must have feature?

Also been scanning the web for good deals and there doesn't seem to be much going on at the moment, no stand out buy me deals anyway

I have also been reading and watching YouTube clips stating to 'at least' purchase a drive with Fusion over the base product to at least give it a quick start up etc

Been scanning our local UK For Sale columns on Gumtree and priced a couple

https://www.gumtree.com/p/desktop-workstation-pcs/imac-27-/1214377774

And seller stating one of the fastest iMac around in North East of Scotland

https://www.gumtree.com/p/desktop-workstation-pcs/upgraded-imac-21.5.-500gb-ssd-8gb-ram/1213470965

All from list here, within a 100 mile radius

https://www.gumtree.com/search?feat...t=date&search_scope=false&photos_filter=false

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well having recently converted myself I think I can answer some of your issues at least.

I bought a 27'' 2015 with the 1T fusion drive as I plan to keep it as long as possible. I always think you should get the latest and best you can afford as it will be cheaper in the long run. Since you mention getting Final Cut Pro I would certainly try to get the most power and memory possible. My old computer was an HP win 7 from 2010 so my iMac flies in my perception.

My uses include managing my music and iTunes - while still a bit clunky - works much better than on Windows. Screen is terrific! Internet very good though Safari is smoother than Firefox I might try Chrome but am a bit wary of Chrome.

Yes they are not the best for gaming, I used to be big on gaming but realise I do most of my gaming these days on my iPhone (even if you cut out the 90% of freemium garbage on the app store it still leaves a lot of great games). That said older games or less graphic and processor intensive game likes the Sims or strategy turn based-games probably work very well. That said I splurged for Xplane 11 (the beta which lets me get a full copy of Xplane 10). Wow! It runs surprisingly well as long as you pay attention to the settings. Apparently it's developed on Mac although a special build PC - especially for any addons - will be the best. But as I don't plan on spending time and money on getting additional planes or scenery like in my MSFS days in the 2000s it should be fine.

I did buy MS Office 2016 for Mac as I plan to start doing work from home - including eventually web development and management as well as planning and giving university-level course in history and current politics so my iMac should serve me well.

Also, one last thing - be careful with using Apple's migration assistant when transferring your data from your old computer to the new one. One thing it did I really didn't like way the fact that it stamped all my photos and documents with the date of the mogration rather than creation. :mad: So I used my USB stick to manually transfer all these documents. The rest was pretty smooth and I backed up everything from my old computer on an external disk.

Invest in a new backup disk as well - twice the size at least of your Mac's storage - and start using Time Machine. Also even if MAcOs is less vulnerable to malware etc. it is stilla risk. I highly recommend Malbyteware's free scanner.

Reactions: leebroath

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Yes I echo decafjava.

I too moved to mac about 9 months ago, but with no budget so bought an old imac (2007).

Buy best ur budget allows to keep up to date longer.

Yes dont use migration manager as said above.

Time machine is amazing so yes do use it.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Thanks,

So really going for an older version won't matter, which is good to know :)

Do you think a machine with 8gb ram and Iris gfx would be ample for using Final Cut Pro?

I presume as long as it has a retina screen

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Hi guys,
As a complete novice and looking at the prices for an iMac it's very daunting and a bit in the dark at which one would very much suit us. Also whether to buy brand new or simply purchase a 'like new' older mac which will do pretty much do the same job?

Our main usage would be for iTunes ... purchase Final Cut Pro to start editing videos.

We don't use the PC much for gaming either but it would be nice to have the option as a back up as I know these things are pretty bad at upgrading,...

I do like the 4K screens but is it really necessary at this stage, is it more of a nice to have than it must have feature?

... YouTube clips stating to 'at least' purchase a drive with Fusion over the base product to at least give it a quick start up etc

• WAIT--for the new iMacs sure to come out before July (could me next month)

• Purchase new! If you can afford $2500 (US) and get the 5K version. Get a processor upgrade to the fastest possible, as well. This sounds like MONEY, but it will be savings in the long run. Chip design is slowing, and a top-end iMac coming out this year should last for 8+ years unless some wild innovation comes along in the 20s. If you buy the lower-end stuff now, it might be good for 5 years before you feel the need to get a newer version.

• DO GET FUSION, because you will bang your head on the wall with the stock drive, and you can't modify it (easily). SSD is still very expensive, but that would be even better, though Fusion drives will do you well.

• Use an external and do Time Machine--no regrets!

• Though Macs are becoming a little infuriating these days, they beat PC at everyday tasks. You also get a nice, free suite of programs that work extremely well. FINAL CUT PRO X is very nice and fairly intuitive.

I'm waiting to buy a top-end iMac when they come out this year. It will be a relief to get a great monitor and clean up all the junk around my 5yo Mac Mini into a compact package.

I then expect it will last for a decade before it is just too clunky to go on with; die shrink is at 14nm now, 10nm next year, and 7 nm in 2021... 5 nm in 2024 or beyond. I've noticed that across 30 years of Macs, a computer begins to lose ground when the die shrink hits 1/3rd of what you have, if you have a fast processor at the time of purchase. So in 2027 the die shrink will possibly be 3nm and it will be ripe time to get a new Mac. There are other considerations, like increased resolutions and graphics processors along the way, etc., but everything is dragging now, and it will take longer for the industry to innovate in the 20s.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Do not go too old, my 2007 has big limitations.

6gb ram max and ddr2 and rubbish gpu, even world of tanks glitches.

only upside of my older model is quite easy get into for repair/upgrade.
I do not know final cut so cannot comment.
my only design program is dreamweaver but that not that intense on the machine.

I bought the 2007 due to budget and at £175 with 1 year warranty was ok.
Then few months ago bought a 20 inch cinema screen.
So have dual 20 inch monitors for my web design.

I still cannot afford newer but it does the job if a little slowly, lol

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Thanks,

So really going for an older version won't matter, which is good to know :)

Do you think a machine with 8gb ram and Iris gfx would be ample for using Final Cut Pro?

I presume as long as it has a retina screen
Well here are Final Cut Pro requirements.

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/specs/

Minimum System Requirements

• OS X 10.11.4 or later
  • 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing and 3D titles)
  • OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later
  • 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K editing and 3D titles)1
  • 4.15GB of disk space

The graphic card is the only issue in my mind:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239

But it lists Iris so you should be fine! Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.