Windows development on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mcfly2, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mcfly2 macrumors member

I plan on installing a 2nd hard drive on my Macbook Pro 15" i7 (via Optibay), installing Windows 7 via bootcamp on the 2nd drive, and doing Windows ASP.NET development with Visual Studio and IIS. Has anyone had any luck, good or bad, doing this?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

That will certainly work. And the speed is more than adequate. A couple of issues I found though: Windows will cut the battery life in half, and the keyboard is a pain to use for development in Windows.

I'm in the same position as you. I just went and bought an i3 laptop to use for my Windows development instead.

4. mcfly2 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, good point, I hadn't thought about the keyboard. I suppose an external keyboard doesn't help either?

I also plan on running 3 monitors: the built-in display, an external monitor off the DisplayPort, and a 2nd external monitor off of this USB DVI adapter:
    http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Extern...1_12?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285279466&sr=8-12

I haven't tried any of this yet, but my Optibay is supposed to arrive today.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

One of the newer Apple keyboards wouldn't be any help, no. A full-size wired one would be better (not perfect, but close). Hooking a PC keyboard to the machine would be ideal (and as far as I know, would remove the issue).