Windows Device CALS - How Many

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by peterpil19, Jul 2, 2007.

1. peterpil19 macrumors newbie

Greetings All,

We currently plan to trial some Mac Book Pros running parallels with Windows OS and Mac OS.

Our IT department is adament that 2 x Device Cals are required for each machine i.e. because of the virtualisation there are effectively two "devices". Our licencing structure is device based, not user based.

Is there any truth to this?

Would I for example require 2 x Windows Device CALS , 2 x MS Office Device CALS, 2 x MS Sharepoint Device CALS and potentially 2 x MS Outlook Device CALS?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light in this area for me.

Sincerely,

Peter P.

2. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

You'll need a CAL for every instance of Windows running, virtual or not. MS Office can be installed on two machines of the SAME user only (including Outlook). You'll have to lookup Sharepoint rules, don't know anthing about CALS for that product.

Warning for Vista, however -- Make sure you purchase the correct version for virtualization; Only Business and Ultimate (and maybe Enterprise) allow to be run as a virtual server -- a new restriction that MS put on this latest version of Windows.