Windows does not connect to Airport Express with WPA-Enterprise

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FireFrei, Sep 26, 2012.

1. FireFrei macrumors newbie

Hey,
    we are using AirPort-Express stations at our office to provide a wireless network to our staff.
    The APs use WPA/WPA2-Enterprise to check the users authority against our RADIUS-Server.

On Macs and iOS devices the connection to AP works fine but if we try to connect a Windows client, Windows shows up the login-screen, checks the password (if you try a wrong password it shows the login-screen again) but then it says that no connection is possible. We also tried it on another laptop (both using Windows 7 Professional), but it still does not work.

Can anybody help us?

Thanks!

2. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Try setting the wireless mode on the AP express to the 2nd selection on the list, I think its 802.11 b/n rather than 802. A/C .

3. FireFrei, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

FireFrei thread starter macrumors newbie

I switched it from 802.11n (b/g/n) to the second choice 802.11n (n only) but it still does not work. Windows doesn't even ask for username and password now.

Any other ideas? :/

4. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Change to WPA2 personal. I use the airport extreme at home and ran into the problem I believe last year. Once I changed that my PCs connected. Couldn't figure out what the issue was since it was the first time I ran into this problem.

Not sure what the difference between enterprise and personal is though so please excuse this suggestion if it doesn't sound right for your use.

5. FireFrei thread starter macrumors newbie

The difference is the authentication. WPA Personal uses a pre shared key (PSK), so a single password for all clients. WPA Enterprise authenticates against a RADIUS-Server, so every client needs a username and password to connect to the AP.

In my case (using WPA Enterprise) the authentication seems to work, because Macs and iOS devices can connect without any problems. Only windows clients can not connect, because windows causes an error.

6. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Ok, gotcha. Yeah that is what I ran into at my house. My ipads, iphones, and apple TVs would connect with no problem but the two PC laptops I had wouldn't connect.

7. FireFrei thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you or has anyone else another idea how to fix the problem?

8. FireFrei thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody? :confused:

Has anybody a working AirPort Express with WPA-Enterprise?

9. nebc100 macrumors newbie

WPA-Enterprise

Hello FireFrei,

I am using an Airport Extreme (not express) with WPA-Enterprise, and it works perfectly.

I would need to know more about your configuration before I can make any valuable comments.

You say that you are authenticating against a radius server. What server is this?

If the client machines cannot connect, it is normally because the connection is being refused due to a policy problem.

If your radius server is a Windows 2008 R2 machine, check in the NPS settings that you are not blocking the users/machines.

difficult to say more without seeing your configuration, but I hope that this helps.

Nick

10. FireFrei thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using a QNAP TP-412 NAS running a RADIUS-Server on which i set up the user accounts. On my Macs and iOS devices the authentication works fine.

On the administration website of the radius is also the following note:
    "Note: RADIUS server only supports PAP, EAP-TLS/PAP, and EAP-TTLS/PAP authentication schemes for system user accounts."

I hope these information can help you. I am pretty new in WPA-Enterprise and do not have that much experience. Hopefully you can help me solving the problem.