Windows does not see OS X partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BEASTMAN, Jun 6, 2014.

1. BEASTMAN macrumors member

So I recently upgraded my iMac's HD to 4TB (OS is running on SSD). I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the second drive (4TB).

Windows is not seeing the other partition on the secondary drive (4TB), it can however see my SSD as well as my backup drive.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this.

Bootcamp drivers were updated at time of install, windows updates have been run (all 200 of them), I have switch the partition to ignore ownership, have given 'everyone' read and write access, and just no luck.

Thoughts?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unless something has changed, Windows doesn’t have the ability to even see Mac Partitions without extra software support.

Could be mistaken and that just refers to write support. Or my intel could be outdated.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Normally, I'd agree with you, but there may be some boot camp drivers because on my rMBP my windows 8.1 is able to access my OSX partition. In fact I was pulling a file from a HFS+ external drive no problem at all.

4. BEASTMAN thread starter macrumors member

Bootcamp drivers allow for reading but not writing to the drive.

Macdrive (3rd party software) allows for both.

Currently I cannot even read the drive

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Windows won't be able to read anything on the 4TB disk because of how the disk gets partitioned to allow Boot Camp to boot Windows.
    The detailed explanation is here: http://www.twocanoes.com/support/wi...-tb-or-larger)-drive-in-lion-(10.7)-and-later

Windows doesn't recognize the Mac partition as a single partition and, consequently, cannot read the data on it.

6. satcomer, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

7. chrfr macrumors 603

None of these will work. It's not a matter of not reading the format, it's that the Mac "partition" on a 3TB or larger disk is a Core Storage volume and neither Windows nor these utilities recognize it.