Windows doesn't restart properly - Chime sounds but nothing happens

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RoboCop001, Apr 27, 2008.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone.

I couldn't find the answer on the forums, so here I go.

I forget exactly when this started happening, but I'm going to take a guess and say it was after I installed Leopard (and therefore the non-beta version of Bootcamp drivers). I'm pretty sure that at some point it restarted fine, because I remember rebooting Windows (probably after installing something) and then forgetting to hold down Option, so it booted into OS X and I thought "Ah damnit, now I have to restart again!!" lol So clearly... something happened that is now preventing Windows from properly restarting the machine.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, Windows XP SP2, Bootcamp 2.1 and OS X 10.5.2.

Whenever I choose the Restart command in Windows (either on a dialogue box when updates have been installed, or from the Start menu), the startup chime sounds, but nothing happens. I even tried the Bootcamp menu "Restart in Mac OS X" option.

The monitor stays off, there's no "the monitor is off" light (the non-pulsing sleep light), and the fans gradually start going up to maximum. But there's no HD activity, though it is still spinning.

My only option is to push the power button, which immediately shuts off the machine.

Then when I press it again, it boots up fine and neither OS X nor Windows have any issues.

So whenever I want to restart back into OS X, I have to select Shutdown from Windows and then press the power button to boot up again. At least that saves me an extra power button press (and whatever potential damage all of this is causing the machine, none noticeable as of yet though).

Any ideas?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That happens to me every now and then...

or no chime on startup...

But I can't reproduce it with such regularly.

It hasn't hurt my computer yet