windows domain Login

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gathomas72, Nov 16, 2011.

1. gathomas72 macrumors newbie

I'm a system admin in a windows server 2003 environment and have recently added a macbook pro to our domain, but when i reboot the macbook I don't see the option to login as a domain user. All I see is my initial local user account. It shows green light on the macbook and that the macbook is binded to my domain and I can see the computer account in my active directory structure, but I don't get an option to log on as a domain user. I believe there should be an option on the logon screen that says other.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

4. djpuma macrumors regular

There should be a way to set this under user accounts.

Go to login options and choose the "name and passwords option"

It will just have a box for name and password and a red or green light indicating that the network accounts are available or not.
    I just tested ours with lion and server 2008 R2

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You should get that with the "Other" option, if the OP is not getting that option something is wrong.

6. djpuma macrumors regular

I'm actually having the same issue. Domain is bound, but no other box shows up and with just a user/pass box it says network accounts not available.

Could be lion and I just added it to the domain today. Not sure what OS the OP is on.

----------

Still don't have the other box, but I was able to login under my domain account.

I had to add my actual server name under advanced options, administrative
    prefer this domain server: I added our domain controller and was able to log in as my normal user account, still no other box.

Not sure if this will help the OP or not.

7. Cliff3, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

The concepts will be very similar if not identical, even if the implementation differs in slight details depending on which version the OP is running. It is unfortunate that Apple has not exposed a similar document for 10.7, but that's the way it goes.

edit: Oops. I was wrong. Here is the 10.7 doc: http://training.apple.com/itpro/macinteg/mac_integration_basics_107.pdf

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Apple did not have that option in Snow Leopard, which is why that is an important distinction.

9. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

It sure looks like it does to me. I am running 10.6.7.

Attached Files:

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Oops. Guess my work machine fell off the domain. My bad.

OP, use the commands dscl and dsconfigad to ascertain your situation.

Also, use login in the command line and try and AD user. If it doesn't work, well something is wrong. Check your bind status and make sure DNS is correct.