Windows Driver on SuperDrive - accident

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GlastoEls, Mar 1, 2015.

1. GlastoEls, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

GlastoEls macrumors member

GlastoEls

Hi all,

MacBook early 2008 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8.

Need some help.

1) Internal SuperDrive no longer read DVDs so I replaced with a new one.

2) Have been happily burning onto DVD-DL.

3) Today, installed Wine and Wine Bottler in order to get a Windows app, IMG Burner, as I needed to create an ISO from a BDMV

4) Ever since then, SuperDrive won't burn due to medium write errors but it will READ existing DVDs, boot DVD Player, etc

And:

5) The name of the SuperDrive in About This Mac is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-S10N ATA with Burn Support = Unsupported in Disk Utility. I'm sure the name prior was Matshita etc etc - it certainly was a brand name.

Googling HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-S10N ATA comes up as a Windows Driver.

Therefore: I'm surmising I've accidentally loaded a Windows driver (during the Wine emulation) on my SuperDrive. Have deleted Wine and Wine Bottler as much as possible.

Any ideas if I'm on the right track with that diagnosis or any ideas on how to fix - other than buying ANOTHER new SuperDrive?

Thanks in advance.

2. webs1 macrumors member

Hi,

First, are you burning from Windows, or Mac? Drivers don't go on the drive itself, the only software you can write to the drive is the firmware, and without specific tools to do so, you can't. I don't believe the software you installed can change the drive's firmware. As for drivers, windows drivers are a completely different format than osx kexts (drivers) so if you are using osx, the windows drivers wouldn't or couldn't change anything. If you're using a Windows virtual machine, than yeah, that could be the issue.

Another possible issue is faulty media - it's possible your discs are bad - I have had that happen many times. I once had a 20 pack of Sony DVDs and 16 were bad. Try new media and try burning at slower speeds - that can also be an issue.