Windows EFI install possible on MBP 2014?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by larimore, Jul 15, 2015.

1. larimore macrumors newbie

Guys, I'm curious whether anyone succeeded in installing and running Windows 7, 8 or 10 natively (in UEFI mode) without any glitches on MBP 15" 2014 (MacBookPro11,3) but with NVIDIA card completely disabled, running only on Iris Pro? Does sound, brightness, wifi, camera, sleep, external displays, etc. all work or are there some driver issues?

I'm about to buy this machine, but would like to turn off NVIDIA GPU under Windows. If anyone could confirm this it would be really, really helpful.

Thanks!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

So far, every Macbook Pro that has dual GPUs has only used the discrete GPU in Windows; the integrated GPU is never used in Windows, and there's no means to disable the discrete GPU.

3. larimore thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I read that's the case with Windows when installed "normally" under Bootcamp. In that case Intel GPU is hidden in BIOS emulation layer during machine startup and is not even visible in Windows. However, if I got this right from other forum threads, when Windows is installed natively in UEFI mode, Intel GPU is not hidden during boot process, and so NVIDIA is not the only GPU in the system anymore and can be disabled from Device Manager. If anybody could confirm this, and that there are no other glitches in this setup on this particular laptop (MacBookPro11,3), that would be super-awesome! :)