Windows error on two macs, virus?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JohnM93, Mar 18, 2010.

1. JohnM93 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone
    We have a DSL modem hooked up via ethernet to an iMac then sharing the connection via WiFi to my mac mini.
    We get these popup boxes from "Windows" im sure its a virus but anyways we know that exe does not work on us.
    Code:
    Your browser is under the threat of infection. Windows requires your permission to install online protection tool.
    we have cleared caches on both computers used the dnscleaner on both and still have this popup
    if anyone can help thats great, thank you all so much!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's bogus nonsense. If it looks like a Windows popup on a Mac, that should be your first clue. Ignore it, it can't do anything to you because it's an ad, and don't waste your time or money with virus scans, because there's nothing there.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't click on it or download it and you'll be fine.

It can't harm you, as it is written for Windows and not Mac OS X.

Here you have some virus threads to read through.

4. JohnM93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that.
    Is there anyway to get rid of it? It gets annoying having it pop up on every other site we visit.

5. revs macrumors regular

Do you have an example of which sites? DO you have popup blocking turned on?

6. JohnM93 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like random websites and yes popups are blocked.
    Perhaps i should not call it popup, it opens in the window and makes the rest of the site a shaded color.
    Here is a link to what it is http://i40.tinypic.com/21kbh28.png

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

Get an ad blocker. Google for Safari Adblock and install that if you use Safari. If you use Firefox, then Adblock+ is an add-on to install. That will block almost all ads on websites when you visit them and keep this one from showing up.

People may argue against using ad blockers because it takes away ad revenue from the sites, but if they're going to show ads like that (and potentially malicious ones, as some of these "anti-malware ads" are), then they deserve the lost revenue.

8. revs macrumors regular

Ah ok sounds like some AJAX stuff. very annoying advert!

9. JohnM93 thread starter macrumors newbie

will be looking into the ad blockers for both FF and Safari thanks!

Yeah they are very annoying, one day it just seemed to start happening, hope the ad blocker fixes it!