Windows Experience Index

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c073186, Mar 28, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I just installed Vista on my mac pro (2.8 GHz Octo, 4 GB RAM, 8800 GT, 500 GB Caviar SE from WD) and I get 5.9's for everything but "Disk data transfer rate" - which is a 5.7. I know that is nothing to complain about, but I am just wondering what would earn a 5.9? Would it take a raptor to do that? Or just mine is not all that fast or something?

2. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

3. JonR356 macrumors member

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Is the drive operating in ultra dma mode 5 or whatever it's called?

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

Don't buy a raptor.

Just buy an identical drive and set up a RAID0 array in disk utility. If one drive fails you lose all your data, but as long as you back up you shouldn't worry.

6. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

5.7 for a hard drive is quite good. I got 5.2 for mine (im using the 320gb one that came with the mac pro). All my other scores are 5.9.

7. JonR356 macrumors member

Original poster, the Windows Experience scores will apparently be restructured regularly based on the 'state of the art'. So a 5.9 now, may only warrant a 5.5 in a few months time.

5.7 is an excellent score, and nothing to be concerned about.

8. kobhart macrumors newbie

I've got 5.9's across the board. I'm booting off a Samsung Spinpoint 750 GB.
    I wouldn't think it's THAT much faster than 5.7.
    I would be interested in hearing what the Raptor gets in that field. I'm considering getting one in the future, but maybe I'll just get a couple more Spinpoints for my remaining HDD slots.

9. madboom macrumors newbie

RE:Raptor

A raptor will get you 5.9 and at least from what I observer (before my Raptor quit) was that boot time is a couple seconds less into OS X.

10. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using a Western Digital Caviar SE 500 GB drive. I know a 5.7 is good I was just curious what would earn a 5.9 that's all.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I dislike this. So a computer that rates a 5.9 now will only be a 3.7 in five years? They should just have a planet-wide database of computer speeds and rank yours against everyone else's. Seeing that your computer is as high as 4,769 out of 39,363,782 would really lift your spirits!

Aside: I enjoy going to Best Buy and looking at the Index of the highest speced machines. I've never seen one over 4. :D

I apologize for the former nature of this post's first sentence.

12. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I have a 2007 Mac Pro, and I am running Vista Home Premium SP1 in boot camp. My Windows Experience Index is as follows:

Processor: 5.7
    Memory (RAM): 5.1
    Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming graphics: 5.8
    Primary hard disk: 5.8

So, my overall index is 5.1, due to the memory operations per second being the weak point. Also, my boot camp disk is the same as yours, a WD 500 GB Caviar SE 16.

13. Meep macrumors member

I thought the way the system worked was that in a future Vista update the system index ratings will go to higher numbers as at the moment the highest score you can get is 5.9.

Also my 2008 MP 2.8 Octo with 2Gb of Ram, 8800GT and 500GB Seagate Barracuda with 32mb of Cache (cache is important as the hdd will er cache data there for faster access so the bigger it is the more can be stored on it) gets all 5.9s but weirdly when i used the bootcamp drivers for my 8800GT the graphics card was rated at 5.8 but when i changed to the Nvidia one it went to 5.9.

14. mkrad macrumors member

5.9's across the board with bootcamped Vista x64

15. benpatient macrumors 68000

you are correct. it is currently capped at 5.9.

They plan on increasing the maximum number over time, so a machine that gets a 4.5 right now should still get a 4.5 in 2-3 years as long as you don't change anything on it.

They didn't try to predict future ratings because they want it to be a representation of actual performance, and they wanted to avoid having manufacturers simply making things that get a good number but don't really reflect that performance in the real world.

i submit into evidence item #1: US Crash Test results.

Have you noticed how every manufacturer under the sun is able to get 5 stars with ease? And then they add a new test and everyone gets 2-3 stars for a couple of years, then suddenly they've fixed all the problems and they're getting 5 stars again?

They're building cars to pass the crash tests, irregardless of what is actually safer for most people...I believe a couple of manufacturers avoid the temptation and just make cars safer in any way they can. but we're talking 2-3 companies at the most.

16. Meep macrumors member

It's always nice to be told your correct.......

I wonder if some of the 2008 Mac Pro's components really are 5.9 and if they go just a little bit higher in the future when the cap is raised. (one can hope :))

17. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I'm not running Bootcamp - Only getting to Vista in a VMWare Fusion VM. When I run the experience index in there - I get a 5.9 for the HD (1.0s for graphics). That's probably due to my RAID 10 setup...

If you striped any couple of disks, I'm sure your perf would pop up...

18. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

mkrad, are your two drives for windows striped? mirrored?

19. DJJONES macrumors 6502

whats the point of the vista raiting system??? are the trying to say vista is so slow we need to rate computers to show how badd it will perform

20. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

just a scale... I think 5.9 is the best it can go right now.

If Vista is running on a screaming fast machine, it's pretty cool, but compared to OSX, it's a resource hog...