Windows expired in Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ncriptide, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ncriptide macrumors newbie

ncriptide

Kept getting a message that "Windows as expiring in xx days". I tried entering my product key for Windows, but it would not accept it. Parallels and Windows Vista Business came pre-installed on my MacBook Pro several months ago.

Today, I try opening Windows, and I cannot get in. Evidently, I let it "expire". Ok, my dumb fault - but what do I do now? I cannot get into Windows and thus cannot get to the Windows verification screen again. I tried calling the "Windows Verification Number" but evidently, you have to be able to access Windows - no can do. . .

Any suggestions?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

is re-installation of windows an option for you at all?

3. ncriptide thread starter macrumors newbie

ncriptide

Probably . . . what I'm holding in my sweating palms right now is a CD that came with the MacBook - a "Windows Vista Business - Licensed only for distribution with a new PC" DVD. The box sleeve says it is a "OEM System Builder Pack Intended for system builders ONLY". . . which I am light years from.

Can you tell me how to reinstall? I popped the CD in and double-clicked on the .exe setup file, but it just sits there and stares at me . . . kinda freaky. Can you explain to me - like you are explaining to a rock - how to reinstall?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im sorry, i never used Parallels.

You can wait and see if anybody can offer other suggestions.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

On Vista expiration, you are offered an option to purchase a new key. The fact it will not accept the key on this screen (I am assuming this is what you are seeing) would indicate that the license is not genuine or is being used elsewhere.

In what form do you have the key? Is there a Certificate of Authenticity label with the key on the DVD case?

6. ncriptide thread starter macrumors newbie

ncriptide

It better be valid - I paid extra for it when I bought the MacBook Pro from MacMall. . . . On the bottom of my MacBook is a sticker that says, "Proof of License Certificate of Authenticity, Windows Vista Business, OEM Software." Then it has the product key on it as well. I would hope from that and the fact that I have the CD, that it is a genuine copy. It appears that this sticker was taken from the CD case and stuck on the bottom of the MacBook.

Any suggestions?

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since you got it from Mac Mall try calling them and see if they are able to help you or give you a different key that works.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If it's legit, you ll eventually be able to get a new key. Microsoft have so many false positives, they see this often.

9. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Can you call windows to have it activated?
    I dont know if Vista has an option for that...

But one thing I do know, is that when I was activating Windows XP for Boot Camp, it wouldnt allow me to activate it online, I had to call them up and activate it through the phone. Seems like some series of key codes have issues with online activation and need to be phoned in.

When Windows "expires" it really just means you have been locked out of the system until you can activate it. If you can call up Microsoft and activate it, you can then start to use Windows just like before. It's worked for me, but then again, I was using XP.

10. ncriptide thread starter macrumors newbie

ncriptide

Problem resolved!

Okay - it was an ID-10-T error (read, "idiot").

Since "Windows Vista" expired . . . I could not access Windows. It would go to a black screen and among the list of options was "start in safe mode", "start in last working mode", or "start Windows normally" . . . none of which worked. It would keep resetting and going back to the black screen again and just keep resetting and throwing up errors.

As it turns out, I was double clicking on the "Windows Vista" shortcut icon on my desktop to get there . . . well, duh!

All I had to do was go to "User > Documents > Parallels > and then trash my Microsoft Windows Vista folder.

I then went back to my Mac desktop > Applications > Parallels > Parallels Desktop > File > Open > New > and then put in my Windows Vista Business DVD and presto! Windows Vista loaded and I'm up and running. Product Key took this time, activated and we're cooking . . .

Of course it is a new install, so I have to reinstall all of my downloadable programs, setup my user preferences and so forth, but its a small price to pay.

Still don't understand why it was asking me to activate Windows in the first place, but I'll just blame it on Microsoft and we're good to go.

Thanks for all of your comments and advice. I appreciate all of you for taking the time to respond and help me figure a way out of this mess.

11. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

IIRC, I believe you have to purchase "Windows Vista Ultimate" in order for the license to activate under virtualization.
    ie: in Parallels or Bootcamp on a Mac.