Windows Explorer VS Safari ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rm2092, Apr 10, 2008.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I hope Im in the right section ? Real short here my freand put some art work on my Myspace page and he is using a windows pc with windows explorer and Im looking at it on my mac with safari and we are seeing to diffirent pages, on my mac it looks incomplete vs the windows pc it looks finished. Whats the reason safari will not show the same results ? are there some plugins that Im missing ? if you want to check it out its www.myspace.com/rm2092

Trust me Im not trying to give my page a plug I would just lie to know if im missing something here, thanks.....

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks complete on Firefox V3b5
    Looks complete on my Safari 3.1

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you probably have too much non-standard codes in that page, which are not readable by safari

Webpage compatibility, standard or not, reality is IE>Firefox>opera>safari....

Hopefull IE8 will do some good in this area...

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I believe it is the other way around...
    every time I make a website it always looks great in safari, and opera. Firefox requires a little tweeking, and IE needs a whole new stylesheet before I can get anywhere with it! :) or maybe I should say :mad: since IE is a major pain in my butt!

5. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I think Clevin is referring to real world compatibility that users encounter using IE>FF>Opera>Safari. Can't speak for Opera but that is my experience as well. Can't remember the last page that did not load adequately in IE. Safari has the most problems. Most web page creators obviously target IE compatibility first.

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

:eek: That's just it, I dont even know what that means! It is pretty easy to make a website look fine in Safari.

The only time I have ever had trouble with safari is when they have some stupid "this site only works with IE" javascript running that prevents you from viewing it. In which case changing your user agent to IE is trivial and i get right in, and it looks fine!

7. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

8. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

My take is that if you build a web page trying for IE compatibility only you get IE>FF>Opera>Safari. If you build using standards FF works best. Not that it is hard to have Safari compatibility. I don't know what tools they are using. I work with several IE-only sites for work. Another is IE/FF compatible but messes up completely with Safari. When I debug it, it appears to be such a simple fix but obviously no one has spent any effort doing it. I think that is the major reason Apple is putting such an effort into getting Safari pushed into Windows. Primarily for iPhone but also for all Mac web compatibility.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

link looks fine on Safari Version 3.1.1 (5525.16)

10. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

Ok we just took the scrolling out and now it looks great with Safari, thanks for all the help.........

11. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Yeah. It's not that Safari is difficult to code for. It's that most people use IE, and IE sometimes makes really weird interpretations of code, so web developers write nonstandard code just to be compatible with IE, even if it's not the best way to do it.

12. boast macrumors 65816

boast

i thought it was that IE is not very strict with code. One could half-ass the code, and IE would just assume the rest and display it fine.

Gecko/webkit is not as forgiving

:confused: