Windows + external drive problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maflynn, Jun 16, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure if this is a "true" windows on a mac issue but I'm hoping some of you guys can provide some insight

I recently built a new computer rig, see the thread here for details.

I have win7 installed and things are going ok. Now the issue, I have an external drive formatted to HFS+ that contains backups and data from my MBP. I wanted to move some of my music and other stuff over from that to the new computer.

When I hook up the drive to the windows box, it goes notifies me that there's a new device to install, it installs and tells me the device is accessible. I do not see the drive in the file explorer nor do I see it in disk management.

The funny thing is when I use bootcamp (on my MBP) the drive is accessible and I can pull (read only) stuff off. I've tried firewire and esata, I'll try USB tonight but I'm hoping I can get some insight.

Since window 7 goes through the motion of notifying me of the connection, I don't think its a bad firewire connection, but what are the odds of having two bad connectors (firewire + esata) when all the other ports like usb seem to work.

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated. I'm using a network connection (drives hooked up to the MBP and moving stuff via smb sharing) now to move the stuff over, but I'd like to figure out why this has occurred in the first place.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OS X can read NTFS and write via Terminal hack or 3rd party software. Windows cannot even read HFS+. Try HFSExplorer for Windows, it should do the trick

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Windows can't read or write to HFS+ formatted volumes, Apple just put some effort into their Boot Camp solution to have access to HFS+ formatted volumes in Windows started via Boot Camp.

You need Mac Drive to read and write to HFS+ formatted volumes in Windows.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Awesome thanks, I guess I was assuming because within bootcamp those volumes were accessible so I was assuming that on the peecee running winblows :p I could do the same.

I'll try both macdrive/hfs explorer tonight.

Thanks for the quick and insightful (and very helpful) answers