Windows File Sharing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kolax, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

My friend has a desktop PC with a USB attached hard drive he wants to share on the network. I suggested plugging into Airport Extreme, but he wants fast speeds when he uses it on his PC.

I have followed instructions on the Microsoft website, but they fail to work. I right-clicked on the hard drive and selected sharing, put in a shared name. Set up his computer for sharing to the extent of my knowledge.

I ran Parallels on my Mac so I could follow the Microsoft instructions for connecting to his shared folder. Map network drive, then typed in his LAN IP, then his shared name. Clicked finish, and when I come to open it on it says access denied.

I tried the other way and map network drive, then clicked browse --> entire network --> Microsoft Networks. I found 'Workgroup' which is the network name of his PC. Then it fails to do anything.

What am I doing wrong?

2. esvee macrumors member

You're doing everything right for the most part. I'd suggest trying the networking wizard on his pc (left hand side when under network places) and making sure that he hasnt fiddled with any ip settings (right click his network connection, click properties, select tcp/ip from the list, click properties, and make sure everything is set to obtain automatically.)