Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Over the last couple of days windows have been suddenly flying off the screen of my Macbook.

One second they are there and the next they are pushed to the side of the screen, with just a grey edge visible. This has never happened in the four year's I've had the Mac and it occurs both with Word documents and emails.

I'm using OS10.11.6 with a Windows keyboard and mouse but, until this time, keyboard and mouse have worked fine with it.

I can't work out what key I'm pressing - it seems to be random when this happens but it's probably not.

Anyone got any solutions to stop it? Is it due to an OS update?
thanx
roger

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Sounds like you're inadvertently invoking the "show desktop" command. If you use the trackpad the gesture is spreading your hand open with your thumb and 3 fingers. For the keyboard the shortcut is the F11 key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: keysofanxiety

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Sounds like you're inadvertently invoking the "show desktop" command. If you use the trackpad the gesture is spreading your hand open with your thumb and 3 fingers. For the keyboard the shortcut is the F11 key.
Test first the next time it happens, by hitting F11 (or Fn F11, depending on how you have your preferences set). If that brings your windows back, then either hitting the F11 key, or the trackpad thing is probably what you are doing. If it turns out to be the inadvertent trackpad gesture, you can disable the trackpad while a mouse is present. System Preferences/Accessibility/Mouse & Trackpad.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've discovered that hitting "Show Desktop" is exactly what I'm doing but, I promise you, not one key is activating this.

It's happened with the Enter key, the backspace key, the forward delete key you get on a PC keyboard and even hitting an individual letter sometimes. It happens with Word documents, email and, today, an Internet page on Google Chrome. I thought it might be because I'm using a PC keyboard with the Macbook but I've had one for years with no problem.

I also went to System preferences and switched off Show Desktop in Trackpad (even though I use a mouse instead of the trackpad). It's still happening!

I last did an OS update to 10.11.6 on May 25. It's only been happening since then. I can't believe it's not connected.

Any thoughts?

Regarads
Roger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.