Windows formatted iPod classic on a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lajes, Apr 17, 2011.

1. lajes macrumors newbie

Hello all, i'm new to Macs, so sorry if this question is a bit stupid.

I've recently bought a Macbook pro and am trying to view my windows formatted ipod classic on my new Mac, i'm not particularly bothered about syncing it, I just want it to show up on itunes. It shows up in finder but not in itunes..
    When I connect it to my Windows laptop it shows up fine, and ideally I'd like to keep it Windows formatted. I've heard it should still show up on Mac itunes even if it is windows formatted?

If anyone could help at all,
    Thanks.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes, it definitely should show up, my Windows formatted mini works fin on my mac.

3. lajes thread starter macrumors newbie

But it's just not showing up. I've connected it about 5 times now and tried using different ports. I know its definitely not the cable/port because i've connected my iphone and it's all worked fine. It just refuses to show up in itunes.

Also just to note, i've connected this particular ipod to a friend's macbook pro and it showed up fine so i don't know why it wont show up on mine.

4. AndroidfoLife macrumors regular

Did you have it set to sync or manage my own music. I never had my Ipod set to sync. I loved being at a friends house and if I saw a song or two liked being able to toss them on my Ipod. Syncing it would mean you have to re sync all of the music on it.

5. lajes thread starter macrumors newbie

It's set to manage my own music... for exactly the same reason as you, i like to connect it too different computers and copy playlists etc. For this reason I'd rather not format it to my Macbook... however I still want to be able to listen to music on my macbook!