Windows formatted iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Vader, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I have an iPod video that I bought from someone, and I have been loving it. Problem is I don't use windows, and I can't run a firmware update on it from a mac.

I searched the forums, and I have seen stuff about Senuti, which I have already used, but I don't want to have to do even that. If I create a disk image of my iPod using NetRestore or something similar, can I then clone that back onto it once I change it to mac format?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i'm not sure i understand exactly what the problem is. if the iPod shows up in iTunes on your Mac, though, you should be able to restore it, which would format it for Mac. once you restore it, you should be able to load everything back onto the iPod.

3. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

To be honest, for one it has music and video purchased from someone else's account. There are some episodes of 24, they were on there when I got it, so I kept them on it.

Also, I manually manage the music as they is some of the old music I kept on there, and most of my music, plus an assortment of my videos and things.

So I am wondering if cloning, reformatting, and imaging back onto it will work.

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I don't understand your problem. Windows formatted iPods will appear on both Macs and Windows, so when you connect it should eventually appear and you should then be able to reformat it. Is it not appearing altogether or did you just not know windows formatted iPods also work on Macs? :confused:

5. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

Okay, let me explain a bit more. I bought this ipod in the middle of the school year from a kid. I liked some of the music and tv shows on it, so I manually managed it, adding my music so both my music and videos and his that I wanted would stay. I didn't realize at the time that it was windows formatted. Now, I cannot update the iPod's firmware since all I use is a mac. I can still sync it and use it fine with my mac. I just wanted to run the firmware updates on it.

6. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

You cant clone it and run the software update, just wont work
    If you really do want to keep the music thats on there, just go to a windows PC, launch iTunes and update it

If you have a Intel Mac, and have a copy of windows, just install it and update it from there...

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

How about using a 3rd party program like iPodDisk to extract the movies and music from the iPod? Then they're on your Mac. You can format the iPod, update the firmware and sync everything back...

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

you cannot update/restore a Windows formatted iPod on a Mac.

9. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Maybe this sounds silly, but if it's working fine without the firmware update, then why bother?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... which iPod is this exactly? Are we talking about a 3rd gen iPod or before that originally shipped in Mac format? All the new iPods are formatted in FAT32 -- there is no Mac/Windows issue with newer iPods. I've restored my Nano on my iMac.

11. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I'm inferring from this thread that iPods formatted with FAT32 won't accept firmware upgrades unless connected to a Windows machine.

I like to use my iPod at home and at work - and use it to copy documents and photos to Windows computers, so I have it Windows compatible.

What should I do to make sure my firmware is kept up-to-date?

12. Vader thread starter macrumors 65816

Vader

I have an intel mac and I will be getting windows to run on, haven't decided yet if I will get xp or vista.
    The iPod in question is a white 30gb 5G iPod Video.

Thank you to lozanoj83 for answering my question. I will leave it then until I get windows on my mac. (yuck! don't like the sound of that)